Top Ten Tuesday–Sequels I’d Like To See

toptentuesday2
 
hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
 
Top Ten Books I Wish Could Have Had Sequels
 
(they were complete stories but you just could have read more and more about these characters or set in that world)
 
 
760933
 
1. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
 
I don’t know what it is, but I love this world and Montag, the main character, so much. I want more of everything. I own A Pleasure to Burn, which is a book of short stories that inspired the full novel and helps me spend more time in Montag's head and world.
 
 
410276
 
2. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
 
I love this book. I know that we got some sort of closure, but I sometimes wish I could have gotten a later reflection on Esther’s life. Did she ever really find her place in the world? Because Esther mirrors Plath so much, I’m going to assume the answer is no. But still, it would be nice to see the world through Esther eyes as a healed and whole person.
 
 
32234
 
3. White Oleander by Janet Fitch
 
Much like The Bell Jar, I’d like a story with grown Astrid who has lived a full life. Where did she end up?
 
 
19063
 
4. The Book Thief by Mark Zusak
 
I don’t want a traditional sequel following the lives of the characters. I want Death to notice someone else during another horrible event in history where he’s needed often and tell that story. I love the way Death narrates and I find myself wanting more.
 
 
1656001
 
5. The Host by Stephenie Meyer
 
I think this book is actually getting a sequel, but I read it thinking it would remain a standalone novel. The ending was great, but left me kind of wanting to see what would happen next to the planet and who the inhabitants would be.
 
 
22628
 
6. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
 
Yet another broken narrator that I’d like to hear from later on in life. I guess certain characters stay with me and I want to know what happens to them.
 
 
69136
 
7. The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly
 
I love the world and I wish I could explore more of it with more fairy tales and maybe a new character.
 
-----------------
 
Standalone novels are pretty rare on my bookshelf and are typically perfect the way they are.
 
There are tons of books I love and almost want more of, but it wouldn’t be appropriate to keep going at all, like with Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk or The Radleys by Matt Haig.
 
Other worlds I want more of already have more, like The Diviners by Libba Bray or The Passage by Justin Cronin.
 
What standalone novels do you wish you could have sequels to?
 
 

Labels: