Review–The One (The Selection #3) by Kiera Cass

15844362

The One (The Selection #3)

by Kiera Cass

Summary: The highly anticipated conclusion to Kiera Cass's #1 New York Times bestselling Selection series, The One will captivate readers who love dystopian YA fiction and fairy tales. The One is the perfect finale for fans who have followed America's whirlwind romance since it began--and a swoon-worthy read for teens who have devoured Veronica Roth's Divergent, Ally Condie's Matched, or Lauren Oliver's Delirium.
The Selection changed America Singer's life in ways she never could have imagined. Since she entered the competition to become the next princess of Illéa, America has struggled with her feelings for her first love, Aspen--and her growing attraction to Prince Maxon. Now she's made her choice . . . and she's prepared to fight for the future she wants. Find out who America will choose in The One, the enchanting, beautifully romantic third book in the Selection series!
Source: I purchased a paperback

Add to Goodreads

Review:

I enjoyed The One. I just needed to have a conclusion and find out what happened. I thought America would be sent home a million times, but I was rooting for her the entire time. It really broke my heart when she wasn’t the only person Maxon was looking at. I was super invested in the story and finding out if she’d make it to the end and win his heart and trust.

While The Selection isn’t the best series ever, it was addicting and I enjoyed reading it. It wasn’t nearly as shallow and ridiculous as I thought it would be and I kept waiting for it to get worse, but it never really did. I still maintain that the series is enjoyable as long as you weren’t expecting it to be the next Hunger Games. I feel like the people I know who hated this series were just simply expecting something else. I expected it to be shallow, catty, filled with love triangles and other stupid YA tropes and I was impressed by how much better the series was than I expected.

The One certainly explored the society a bit more and dealt with the rebellion, but it’s still not super dystopian focused like other YA books. I liked that the rebellion and the caste system were things that America had to deal with and she brought a refreshing perspective to Maxon because of her status as a Five.

Overall, I recommend the series. The rest of the books appear to be a spin off after The One. Which bothers me because I totally bought The Heir ahead of time in preparation for the insane need to have the next book and then it turns out that I didn’t need to buy it. That’s besides the point, though. As a trilogy, The Selection was good. It wasn’t the next awesome YA dystopian, but it was a fun and unique story.

4%25252520star

Labels: , , ,