Review - Losing It (Losing It #1) by Cora Carmack

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16034964-losing-it

Losing It (Losing It #1)
 
by Cora Carmack

Summary: Sick of being the only virgin among her friends, Bliss Edwards decides the best way to deal with the problem is to lose it as quickly and simply as possible - a one-night stand. But her plan turns out to be anything but simple when she freaks out and leaves a gorgeous guy alone and naked in her bed with an excuse that no one with half-a-brain would ever believe. And as if that weren't embarrassing enough, when she arrives for her first class of her last college semester, she recognizes her new theatre professor. She'd left him naked in her bed about 8 hours earlier.  

Add to Goodreads

Source: I borrowed a digital copy from the library

Review:

Losing It was a light and fluffy contemporary romance that was published at the beginning of the whole New Adult craze and fits quite well into that category.

My feelings are mixed. I enjoyed the book and liked the characters and the plot. But I can't help but compare it to two other New Adult books with similar plots. Losing It involved a college student who was a virgin and almost had a one night stand with a gorgeous British guy at a bar. She backed out at the last minute, embarrassed but quite sure she'd never see him again. Until he walked into her theatre class as the professor.

So here's the thing. Not only do I dislike teacher student romances, but there are two other books that have changed my mind about the issue and are amazing and it's hard to top either of them. There's the racy and far from virginal Unteachable by Leah Raeder and then there is the heart wrenching and amazing contemporary Slammed by Colleen Hoover. Losing It wasn't bad at all, but it's nowhere near as amazing as either of those books and it's tough to sing praises when it's such a similar plot to both of those books.

I liked Bliss. Even though she was a bit naïve and analytical, I could relate to her control freak and analytical nature because I'm very much the same. I was even with her on the whole not having sex thing because I was the same way in high school. I just... didn't ever seem to want to get that far with people and Bliss was the same. There wasn't some virtuous reason for saving herself, she just... did. She connected with Garrick and they formed a shaky friendship and ended up jumping into a secretive relationship with each other, which is expected, but I hated how clueless Bliss was about her friends and how immature she was in a relationship.

Losing It isn't going to break a mold or shine in the New Adult category, but it's not a bad read and it's kind of fun. It was a cute story and I recommend it to fans of New Adult contemporary books. It's a bit unfair for me to rate it just 3 stars because I know the two other books are the biggest reason for me not enjoying this one as much as I'd hoped, but it's honest. Also, the cover is TERRIBLE.. lol





Follow on Bloglovin

Labels: , ,