Review - Fixed on You by Laurelin Paige


Fixed on You

by Laurelin Paige

Summary: Stalking and restraining orders are a thing of Alayna Wither’s past. With her MBA newly in hand, she has her future figured out — move up at the nightclub she works at and stay away from any guy who might trigger her obsessive love disorder. A perfect plan.

But what Alayna didn’t figure on is Hudson Pierce, the new owner of the nightclub. He’s smart, rich, and gorgeous — the kind of guy Alayna knows to stay away from if she wants to keep her past tendencies in check. Except, Hudson’s fixed his sights on her. He wants her in his bed and makes no secret of it. Avoiding him isn’t an option after he offers a business proposition she can’t turn down and she’s drawn further into his universe, unable to resist his gravitational pull. When she learns Hudson has a dark history of his own, she realizes too late that she’s fallen for the worst man she could possibly get involved with. Or maybe their less than ideal pasts give them an opportunity to heal each other and finally find the love their lives have been missing.  

Source: I downloaded a Kindle copy for free on Amazon 

Add to Goodreads  

Review:

I sometimes read terrible billionaire romances for no reason. I’m trying to stop reviewing them because I almost always hate them. I downloaded Fixed on You because it was free and I was in the mood for a quick and somewhat shallow romance novel. I vowed that if it was terrible, I would just not review it. Fixed on You was actually pretty good! I don’t know if it was because my expectations were as low as the price or if it was genuinely better than the popular romance novels I’ve been reading, like Fifty Shades or Bared to You. Maybe it’s a little bit of both.

Alayna was a troubled girl with an obsessive past. She wanted to move up in the club business and had her sights set on a management position. When Hudson Pierce walked in, she had no idea he was even a big deal, let alone the owner of her place of business. Hudson wanted two things from her. First, he wanted her to be his fake girlfriend to convince his family that he wasn’t incapable of love so they’d stop trying to marry him off. Second, he wanted to sleep with her. Knowing her obsessive past, she warned him that it was a bad idea, but took his offer in order to get her loans paid off. She wasn’t being paid for the second act, only the first. Obviously, I knew that they would fall for each other. I didn’t like Hudson very much because he was just so crisp and callous, but I realized that was exactly part of the reason why he was considered to be incapable of love. I knew Alayna would be in above her head with him, but I wanted to watch it all unfold.

Fixed on You wasn’t really a billionaire meets plain ordinary girl kind of romance. Hudson was very aware of Alayna’s past and her stalking charges. He didn’t pick her because she was different from the normal girls he dated or because she was plain. He picked her because she was crazy and somehow righted herself and seemed functional. I kind of liked that aspect because it made it a tad more believable for me. Alayna was kind of awesome. She told Hudson’s mom off on multiple occasions. She made all sorts of mistakes, and wasn’t really afraid to be herself. And unlike many billionaire asshole romance novel characters, Hudson actually seemed to encourage that.

The book was a bit rough around the edges, but no more so than the $10 traditionally published bullshit romances that are on the shelves right now. In fact, that’s my biggest complaint about them is that they are so terribly edited and executed. Fixed on You was free and I probably would have paid for it and been happy to do so. I’m not completely sold on the genre, but I’m glad that I was able to read one of these books without wanting to pull my hair out the entire time, so I consider that a success.

Labels: , ,