Review–World After (Penryn and the End of Days #2) by Susan Ee

17849112
 
World After (Penryn and the End of Days #2)
 
by Susan Ee
 
Summary: In this sequel to the bestselling fantasy thriller, Angelfall, the survivors of the angel apocalypse begin to scrape back together what's left of the modern world.
When a group of people capture Penryn's sister Paige, thinking she's a monster, the situation ends in a massacre. Paige disappears. Humans are terrified. Mom is heartbroken.
Penryn drives through the streets of San Francisco looking for Paige. Why are the streets so empty? Where is everybody? Her search leads her into the heart of the angels' secret plans where she catches a glimpse of their motivations, and learns the horrifying extent to which the angels are willing to go.
Meanwhile, Raffe hunts for his wings. Without them, he can't rejoin the angels, can't take his rightful place as one of their leaders. When faced with recapturing his wings or helping Penryn survive, which will he choose?


Source: I received a digital copy from Netgalley
Add to Goodreads

Review:

World After was amazing. It didn’t suffer from second book syndrome at all and was just as action packed as the first book. Despite the fact that she was returned to her family and the Resistance after Raffe thought she was dead, Penryn’s life was far from safe. Her mom was just as crazy as ever, her sister was some sort of weird monster, and Penryn practically came back from the dead. Penryn found herself on another quest to find her sister, but things were much different. Her sister wasn’t the innocent little girl she was in the first book and Penryn had to admit she was kind of scared and worried about her.

The only thing that drove me crazy during the novel was the lack of Raffe. I just wanted them back together because they made such a great team. But the anticipation was nice and I liked seeing Penryn come up with crazy solutions to her problem all on her own. She was resourceful and awesome. The sword seemed to align with her and it began to show her glimpses of Raffe’s perspective in the past, giving her a better idea of who he was and how he protected her. As much as I was screaming inside for Raffe to show up, I am glad that I got to see Penryn tackle some things on her own.

I am impressed by how amazing this series has been. It blew me out of the water and continues to surprise me. It’s dark, gritty, terrifying, but full of love, hope, and redemption at the same time. I absolutely love Penryn and Penryn with Raffe is even more amazing. I love her perspective and I hope that the two of them can somehow make things right with the world and still somehow end up together, even though it basically can’t happen. I have not been so excited for a book release in a really long time. As much as I wish I’d have read this series sooner, with the release of book 3 being just days away, I’m relieved I don’t have a long wait!

4%2520star

Labels: , , , ,