Review–Angelfall (Penryn and the End of Days #1) by Susan Ee

15863832
 
Angelfall (Penryn and the End of Days #1)
 
by Susan Ee
 
Summary: It's been six weeks since the angels of the apocalypse destroyed the world as we know it. Only pockets of humanity remain.
Savage street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night.
When angels fly away with a helpless girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back...


Source: I received a digital copy from NetGalley

Add to Goodreads

Review:

OMG! Angelfall was awesome! I admit I’ve had this just sitting on my Kindle for months. I wanted to read it, but then I was afraid it would be some stupid angel paranormal romance and I think YA has enough of those. Angelfall was different and so much better than what I expected. It was a post apocalyptic story involving angels who destroyed the world. It was more urban fantasy and less paranormal romance, with a snarky and amazing heroine and a brooding wingless angel. The world was torn apart with people fighting to survive in the devastation brought upon them by angels for reasons mankind could only guess.

Penryn was amazing. She is definitely one of my favorite heroines now. She was strong, loyal, fierce, and determined. At the same time, she made some terrible decisions, had her weak moments, and was vulnerable. She was both a character you could root for and a character you could relate to. I loved her! I liked the way she handled the problem of the angel. She wasn’t immediately all swoony over him. Instead, she attempted to torture him for information and later form a shaky alliance with him. I liked that she tried to keep a good head on her shoulders, even when she might have preferred to have a distraction. Penryn’s character evened out the hopelessness of the world, too. So many post apocalyptic stories are bleak and set in the future far after the events that ended the world and I liked having such an entertaining character to prevent that attitude from coming about and I preferred that the apocalypse was so recent and no one really knew what happened.

I was so shocked at how great the book was. I have to admit, despite reading nearly all of the angel and human paranormal romance YA series, I think I might hate them. I’m not exactly awed by angels. I think that’s why I avoided reading this. It was so amazing to open the page and discover this torn apart world where angels are a factor in the apocalypse without the fire and brimstone and without society really understanding why. It was all just awesome and nothing like I expected. Penryn, like me, also really didn't like or trust angels, so I liked her point of view. I was eager to find out why the world ended up that way and intrigued that no one could explain why.

I highly recommend the series. I’m excited to start book two and I’ll be buying book three as soon as it’s available! You don't have to like post apocalyptic fiction to enjoy Angelfall. It appeals to fans of paranormal romance and urban fantasy as well. It's entertaining, action packed, and amazing. I recommend reading it if it sounds even remotely interesting because it's AWESOME!

5%2520star

Labels: , , , , ,