Review–The Darkest Lie (Lords of the Underworld #6) by Gena Showalter

7519472

The Darkest Lie (Lords of the Underworld #6)
 
by Gena Showalter
 
Summary: Forced to his knees in agony whenever he speaks the truth, Gideon can recognize any lie - until he captures Scarlet, a demon-possessed immortal who claims to be his long-lost wife. He doesn't remember the beautiful female, much less wedding - or bedding - her.

Source: I purchased a paperback

Add to Goodreads

Review:

I really love the Lords of the Underworld series and I enjoy getting a close glimpse of each Lord and the women they fall for in each book. Showalter has been teasing us with glimpses of Gideon for the past couple of books and he was rapidly becoming my favorite Lord. Everyone had their demons to deal with, but I feel like Gideon was one of the few who had a demon that ALWAYS affected his life. He couldn’t not lie. Ever. It wasn’t the same as dealing with a demon’s outrages or tendencies. He literally couldn’t carry on a conversation without lying and it frustrated him often.

It took me a really long time to like The Darkest Lie. I hated Scarlet and I hated the fact that she was so mean to him and had this whole history with him that he couldn’t remember. I wanted him to fall for someone new and refreshing. Instead, he had to win her over without remembering his past and try to break down the walls around her heart. I was still enjoying the story and I loved her demon, Nightmares, but I wish she was nicer and easier to deal with in general.

I started to like the book about halfway through when Scarlet’s resolve started to crumble a little bit and once the twist happened and things weren’t what they seemed. I started to like Scarlet a little better and understand her and I actually started to root for them as a couple. Also, I liked the way their demons responded to each other. But, like all of the books in the series, I find myself drawn to another Lord once I get a glimpse of them and I’m anxious to see Torin and Amun have their stories.
I am glad I took a break for a little because reading too many of these books at once gets repetitive and I’ll start thinking too hard about her caveman male leads and dialogue, but it’s nice to dive right back in when the mood strikes and I can’t wait to pick up the next book.

I recommend the series to fans of paranormal romance, mythology, and dark male leads who are complicated.

4%2520star

Labels: , ,