Review–Someone to Love by Addison Moore

17944662

Someone to Love

by Addison Moore
 
Summary: If you don't give your heart away, you can't get it broken

When twenty-year-old Kendall Jordan transfers across the country to Garrison University, the last thing she's looking for is a one-night stand. Unfortunately that's exactly what gorgeous Cruise Elton offers. Kendall has long since come to realize that love is an illusion, and Cruise couldn't agree more, but something deep inside her wants him all for herself. So Kendall devises a plan to 'play the player' and proposes that Cruise tutor her in becoming a female version of himself, Garrison University's own playboy. But as real feelings emerge, the game gets complicated, and Kendall and Cruise will find themselves questioning everything they thought they knew about love.
A New York Times and USA Today Bestseller
New Adult - Contemporary Romance *Intended for mature audiences 17+* Sexual situations



Source: I purchased a paperback from a library sale

Add to Goodreads

Review:

I didn’t have high hopes for this book because I figured it would be a run of the mill New Adult romance based on the synopsis, but for $1 at the library’s monthly sale, I couldn’t pass it up.

When I read the prologue, I got really excited because it was obvious the author could write well and the premise sounded amazing. Maybe I picked up a hidden gem? I couldn’t wait to dive into the pages of this book as soon as I picked it up. Unfortunately, the rest of the book didn’t really live up to the dazzling prologue. It was full of a lot of potential and I liked the two main characters, but the situations and encounters often made no sense at all. None of the pieces of this story went together well.

Kendall and Cruise met at a party, somehow she ended up staying at his house/bed and breakfast because she suddenly had nowhere to go and never actually did anything herself to set up in a dorm and just continued to live with him the entire time. She suddenly had these friends, except they never really hung out or talked except over coffee. Not once did anyone really tell anyone anything important. Kendall was privy to all these rumors about Cruise from her “friends” but they never told her the person who kept passing them in the coffee shop was Cruise’s ex, so no one ever put the pieces together. There wasn’t even any tension when there was miscommunication because they characters still continued to hang out and have sex like nothing was wrong. The family thing was kind of weird, and Cruise started treating Kendall like his soul mate the moment he wanted to take them to get a Christmas tree on like page 3. It made no sense.

Books like these drive me crazy. The potential was there. The writing was great! The characters were funny, entertaining, sweet, and likeable. The drama was there. But the execution was just a jumbled mess that made it impossible for me to connect. And this is why I have all but stopped reading self published books from new-to-me authors. I’m almost always disappointed because a truly great editor and a longer timeline between writing and publishing would have turned this into a wonderful book!

I recommend this book if you read a lot of books like this and aren’t bothered by jumbled execution. I don’t think this bothers people as much as it bothers me because so many of my friends rave about books like these and are able to enjoy the conflict. But if you prefer a more polished finished copy, I would skip this one.

 3%2520star

Labels: , ,