Review–Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky #2)

13253276

Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky #2)

by Veronica Rossi
 
Summary: It's been months since Aria last saw Perry. Months since Perry was named Blood Lord of the Tides, and Aria was charged with an impossible mission. Now, finally, they are about to be reunited. But their reunion is far from perfect. The Tides don't take kindly to Aria, a former Dweller. And with the worsening Aether storms threatening the tribe's precarious existence, Aria begins to fear that leaving Perry behind might be the only way to save them both.
Threatened by false friends and powerful temptations, Aria and Perry wonder, can their love survive through the ever night?


Source: I purchased a Kindle copy

Add to Goodreads

Review:

I can’t believe it has taken me this long to pick up this trilogy. I enjoyed Under the Never Sky, but with first books, you never really know the direction of the series and so many of the popular YA trilogies start out great and then fizzle out with the sequels. I was definitely worried, but I couldn’t wait to find out happened next. Through the Ever Night was incredible and didn’t suffer from Second Book Syndrome at all. In fact, I think I liked Through the Ever Night even more than the first book!

While Under the Never Sky had a blossoming romance, Through the Ever Night focused more on the events going on involving the outside world and Reverie. Aria was given the task of finding a way into the Still Blue by Hess from Reverie. Perry was Blood Lord of the Tides and had the task of getting his people to trust him, take care of them, and be a good leader despite the growing Aether storms. Aria and Perry’s paths crossed, but neither of them had the ability or the time to waste making googly eyes at each other. I totally appreciated that fact because they both had a lot of growing to do. Still, they had a strong connection and I thought that’s what made me like their relationship more.

As an adult reading YA, while I love romance and even understand when teen characters fail in duties because they are distracted, I really like it when two people can look up and realize they have shit to do and get that stuff done. In a way, that’s kind of what falling in love is like in the real world. When you’re with someone, you can lay in bed all day and memorize their curves, but someone has to get up and go to work and clean the house, right?

One of the other things that I appreciate about the series is how well the relationships are built. I felt Aria and Perry’s strong connection, but their friendships with others were also well developed. Aria and Roar had a bond that was very close, but I never thought for one second that there was anything more. So many YA series fail at creating friendships, especially between a guy and a girl and it was so refreshing to see it well executed here. The author refrained from having any insane love triangle BS. And while Aria and Perry had their own things happening and weren’t always able to explore their connection to each other, I felt like the conflict and drama was real and not created just to add relationship tension. I am so impressed by the way the author handled friendships, relationships, and the struggles of leading a tribe of people.

Through the Ever Night was filled with so much conflict. Aria was trying to find the Still Blue so she could save Talon and possibly help Reverie, since she was sure something was wrong with it. She started a shaky alliance with the guy in Reverie who attacked her. Her and Roar’s agendas aligned when she headed to the leader of the Horns who was the same guy Liv was supposed to marry. But things were crazy. Aether storms were going nuts, Perry was losing his credibility with the Tides, and Aria’s presence with the Tides was a constant source of problems. The people saw her as a Dweller and didn’t trust her, despite the fact that she was trying to help them in many ways. 

I loved the adventure and the conflicts in the book and I sped through it pretty quickly because I just had to keep turning the pages to find out what would happen next. Things were so crazy! I highly recommend the sequel and the trilogy so far. It’s not one of those forgettable science fiction dystopian trilogies at all! And I’m so glad that the second book was even better. I had to buy book 3 immediately after finishing and I have high hopes it will be the best one in the trilogy.

4%2520star

Labels: , , ,