Review–The Final Empire (Mistborn #1) by Brandon Sanderson

243272

 
The Final Empire (Mistborn #1)
 
by Brandon Sanderson
 
Summary: In a world where ash falls from the sky, and mist dominates the night, an evil cloaks the land and stifles all life. The future of the empire rests on the shoulders of a troublemaker and his young apprentice. Together, can they fill the world with color once more?
In Brandon Sanderson's intriguing tale of love, loss, despair and hope, a new kind of magic enters the stage - Allomancy, a magic of the metals.


Source: I purchased a Kindle copy

Add to Goodreads

Review:  

The Final Empire was awesome. People have been recommending Brandon Sanderson and the Mistborn trilogy to me for awhile and now I know why. I loved the writing, the unique plot, and I thought the story was amazing.

At first, the size of the book seemed daunting. I’ve purchased the trilogy for kindle and gasped as it told me it would take me over 24 hours to read the trilogy. But I turned the nifty feature off and instead had it show me how long I had left in each chapter, which kept me motivated. And once I started reading, I was immediately captivated by the story and wasn’t looking at how much I had left to read, but instead wondering what would happen next.

I cannot gush enough about the characters. They were very well developed with distinct personalities, motivations, and backstories. Not a single side character felt like they were just placeholders. They felt like real people with real reservations, hopes, and dreams. And, wow, how they grew as the story went on. Vin grew into everything Kelsier thought she could and more. I cared about every single character, even Vin’s brother, who wasn’t present in the book at all.   .

The lore and setting in The Final Empire was so unique. It wasn’t predictable at all. The magic was different than anything I’ve ever encountered and the history behind the way things were was so hidden and mysterious. I loved the unique plot and world building, but I also loved the way that such an “out-there” story could have so many parallels with our own history. There are a handful of different spots in time and civilizations that the author could have been drawing influence from when he created the class system in the novel. That’s one of my favorite things about fantasy novels. I am intrigued by the way such a magical story with elements that don’t exist in our world can mirror our world so well and give us such needed lessons about ourselves, power, society, and love.

The Mistborn trilogy, or at least the first book (so far), is a must read for any fantasy lover and I’m glad I finally understand why so many fellow fantasy lovers rave about Brandon Sanderson.


  5%2520star

Labels: , ,