Review–The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld #4) by Gena Showalter

5509920

The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld #4)
 
by Gena Showalter
 
Summary: New York Times bestselling sensation Gena Showalter returns with her long-awaited next installment of the Lords of the Underworld series…
He is the keeper of Doubt and his entire world’s about to be rocked.
Bound by the demon of Doubt, Sabin unintentionally destroys even the most confident of lovers. So the immortal warrior spends his time on the battlefield instead of the bedroom, victory his only concern…until he meets Gwendolyn the Timid. One taste of the beautiful redhead, and he craves more.
Gwen, an immortal herself, always thought she’d fall for a kind human who wouldn’t rouse her darker side. But when Sabin frees her from prison, battling their enemies for the claim to Pandora’s box turns out to be nothing compared to the battle Sabin and Gwen will wage against love…


Source: I purchased a Kindle copy.

Add to Goodreads

Review:

I really like the Lords of the Underworld series. I stopped reading after the first three because the pairing up of all of the warriors was getting kind of old, but it wasn’t long before the mood struck me and I picked up book four. 

The Darkest Whisper was about Sabin, the keeper of Doubt. I liked him and I thought his demon was interesting. It was certainly less volatile than the other guys, but more sinister in many ways because it isn’t obvious and in your face. How would a woman ever get used to or be okay with the voice of Doubt creeping into her thoughts, telling her she isn’t good enough? My favorite part about these books is seeing what kind of woman handles the demon inside of the warriors. They all handle it in different ways and I was intrigued by who would steal Sabin’s heart.

Gwen was initially unlikeable and way too timid. How would a timid girl who already second guesses herself ever be a good match for doubt? This was where Showalter surprised me. I loved the way Gwen’s backstory, personality, and history came about. Gwen was far from human and learning to control and embrace her Harpy was what ultimately made her a good fit for Sabin. I loved watching the two of them fall in love and fight together and they may be my favorite couple yet.

I know I’m not alone in being incredibly intrigued by Gideon. He was initially annoying and I would’ve said without a doubt he was the worst and most useless character, but that was before Showalter let me glimpse inside of his head. I want to know more about him and I hope he will eventually be paired up with someone who will fit well with him. I was also intrigued by Torin, Paris, and Aeron. Obviously, there are some things happening with all three of them that will probably be crucial to the plot some later time. Their storylines are interesting.

 I think this is my favorite paranormal romance series. I’m usually not as intrigued and I don’t want to keep reading a series where each person gets their love story because it gets old and the overall plot doesn’t develop enough. But I’m loving the overall plot of Lords of the Underworld, the side plots of the other characters, as well as the romantic plot and pairing of one lord with some person who challenges and completes him. I highly recommend the series. I don’t think it should be a binge read, though, because it will get old. I like that I’ve decided to break it up and read one in between other books because it gives me something to go back to.

 4%2520star

Labels: , ,