Review–The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld #5) by Gena Showalter

6758331

The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld #5)

by Gena Showalter

Summary: For weeks, the immortal warrior Aeron has sensed an invisible female presence. An angel-demon-assassin has been sent to kill him. Or has she? Olivia claims she fell from the heavens, giving up immortality because she couldn't bear to harm him. But trusting - and falling for - Olivia will endanger them all. So how has this mortal with the huge blue eyes already unleashed Aeron's darkest passion?
With an enemy hot on his trail and his faithful demon companion determined to remove Olivia from his life, Aeron is trapped between duty and consuming desire. Worse still, a new executioner has been sent to do the job Olivia wouldn't...


Source: I purchased a Kindle copy

Add to Goodreads

Review:

I am definitely enjoying the Lords of the Underworld series and I catch myself one-clicking the next book after a couple of days because I can’t wait to find out what happens next. But I will say that The Darkest Passion was not my favorite by any means. I liked Aeron in the first book, but he slowly became a character I didn’t care much about and I think Legion is stupid and annoying and I’m not really sure why anyone put up with her in the first place.

I was hoping this would be the story that would sway me the other way and make me love Aeron once I finally got a chance to get into his head. Sadly, I don’t like Aeron any more after reading this book. I didn’t like Oliva because she was terribly naïve and it got on my nerves a bit. I guess I just didn’t buy the whole premise of her watching him, assigned to kill him, and liking him so much she’d fall and choose that over her life in Heaven. Also, I’m not sure I really like the whole Heaven thing, either and what that added bit does to the Greek mythological beings I’ve already been introduced to.

I loved the other characters still and I enjoyed getting more of a glimpse into the mind of Gideon. I realize now that his lack of ability to tell the truth CAN be annoying when he’s trying to have a serious conversation. I’m not sure if I’m eager to see what happens with his story now that I’m fairly certain I’ve been introduced to the girl that he’s supposed to be with, but I’m sure Showalter will surprise me in some ways. I am happy to have read another book in the series and get new information, but I didn’t really care for the main characters and their love story as much as I’d hoped I would.

I recommend the series and the events in this book matter to the overall plot, so it’s definitely worth reading, but I wouldn’t go into it expecting it to top her other books in the series so far.

3%2520star 

Labels: ,