Review–Reckless (Reckless #1) by Priscilla West

22590615
 
Reckless (Reckless #1)
 
by Priscilla West
 
Summary: Everything about him warned me to stay away.
I’d seen bad boys before, but he had it all and more. The rippling muscles covered in tatts, the piercing eyes hiding dark secrets, the silky voice that could make a girl come with just a whisper . . .
He was exactly the type of guy that would get me in trouble, but when he jumped off the stage, inked skin glistening with sweat and breathed his seductive words into my ear, I couldn’t resist the temptation.
It was supposed to be the best one-night stand of my life, but fate didn’t let it play out that way. Things happened. I got upset. I got hasty. And worst of all, I got reckless.
After that disaster, I thought it was the last I’d see of him. But what I didn’t know was that I’d started something.
Something that could shatter the very thing I had worked so hard to protect.
I should have known back then that the most seductive things in life are also the most dangerous.


Source: I received a copy from NetGalley

Add to Goodreads

Review:

This was my first book from the author, as I have not read her Surrender series. But I was in the mood for a light New Adult romance and this one seemed like a good choice. Reckless ended up being pretty good. I preferred it over a lot of the New Adult romances involving a star of some kind, whether it be a rock star, MMA fighter, or some other tough guy persona. I usually avoid tropes like that, but I wasn’t really in a picky mood.

Reckless was pretty well written and I liked the main characters. Jax was of course the typical hot rock star persona who is obviously troubled about something and doesn’t settle down. Of course he falls for Riley, who obviously doesn’t need to be wrapped up in anything that dangerous and neither of them can control what happens. But I didn’t say Reckless was original or it redefined the genre. It definitely didn’t. It was full of those tropes we all love when we want a good romance to escape into and that’s okay. I liked that Riley wasn’t weak willed or super innocent. I loved that she was not innocent, actually. That whole experienced guy falls for fumbling virgin thing can get really old and tiresome after some time and Riley definitely wasn’t that fumbling girl.

The chemistry between Riley and Jax was definitely there, but I liked that they created a weird friendship as she tried to do her job. I liked the way she fit with the rest of the band and the way she wanted to help Jax and get to know him. I liked that Jax, while full of issues, wasn’t some hothead, borderline abusive jackass, either. It’s possible for characters to have issues without being terrible people and I liked that Jax was still likeable when it was all said and done.

Basically, Reckless was your typical NA romance with nothing terribly unique, but it did a wonderful job of avoiding some of the less than ideal tropes that I sometimes run into. It was well written, fun to read, and a good example of how a run of the mill NA romance should be. I definitely recommend it if you’re in the mood for a light romance.

On another note, is that model just going to be on every new adult romance cover?


4%2520star

Labels: , ,