Review–Sinner (Wolves of Mercy Falls #4) by Maggie Stiefvater

18406862
 
Sinner (Wolves of Mercy Falls #4)
 
by Maggie Stiefvater

Summary: A standalone companion book to the internationally bestselling Shiver Trilogy.
Sinner follows Cole St. Clair, a pivotal character from the #1 New York Times bestselling Shiver Trilogy. Everybody thinks they know Cole's story. Stardom. Addiction. Downfall. Disappearance. But only a few people know Cole's darkest secret -- his ability to shift into a wolf. One of these people is Isabel. At one point, they may have even loved each other. But that feels like a lifetime ago. Now Cole is back. Back in the spotlight. Back in the danger zone. Back in Isabel's life. Can this sinner be saved?

Source: I received a copy from NetGalley

Add to Goodreads

Review:

Sinner is a standalone novel, but it’s best read after Forever, the third book in the Wolves of Mercy Falls series. It isn’t necessary to reread the whole trilogy before reading Sinner, provided that you slightly remember how it ended in regards to Cole and Isabel. Cole and Isabel certainly had some unfinished business when the series ended, but the series wasn’t really about them so much as it was about Sam and Grace. In Sinner, Cole and Isabel are the main characters and it’s truly their story. Sinner has completely different emotions than the other three books, too. I think part of that is due to the setting and the characters themselves, as neither are the same type of people as Sam and Grace. I enjoyed Sinner a lot. I liked the differences, but I was expecting something different because I knew it was about Cole and Isabel.

The author has a way with words and is always able to conjure up images and emotions that floor me. The Wolves of Mercy Falls series had me on the verge of tears and feeling so… nostalgic.. and it wasn’t a sad book! When I read The Scorpio Races, I could almost smell the sea. And when I read Sinner, I could feel the loneliness, rage, and hope that the characters felt. I don’t know how she does it, but it’s certainly a talent.

Cole ended up in LA, partly to do music, but partly to see Isabel. He needed her in ways he wasn’t used to needing people. And she needed him, too, but was so terrified of needing him and falling for him. She created a life for herself in LA and Cole’s presence threatened to undo her careful mask of indifference. Cole agreed to be on a reality show where nearly ever participant had failed or become a disaster after taping. With Cole’s history, the world, Isabel, (and myself as the reader) wondered if Cole would once again end up face down on the floor. Would he break in the land of temptation?

The relationship between Cole and Isabel was… well.. them. They’ve always had weird magnetism, snarky comebacks, and moments of sweetness peppered in. It was a roller coaster, but enjoyable. I loved being along for the ride and I’m so glad the author decided to write this one. It gave me some sort of closure and I didn’t realize how much I needed that!

I highly recommend this book. And I’m totally one of those people who hate spin offs and when series continue without the main characters and I usually refuse to read them. But I love Maggie Stiefvater and, while I haven’t devoured EVERYTHING she has written, I am never disappointed by her books. I think she’s one of the most talented authors out there.

5%2520star

Labels: ,