Review–Magic Bites (Kate Daniels #1) by Ilona Andrews

38619
 
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels #1)
 
by Ilona Andrews
 
Summary: When the magic is up, rogue mages cast their spells and monsters appear, while guns refuse to fire and cars fail to start. But then technology returns, and the magic recedes as unpredictably as it arose, leaving all kinds of paranormal problems in its wake.
Kate Daniels is a down-on-her-luck mercenary who makes her living cleaning up these magical problems. But when Kate's guardian is murdered, her quest for justice draws her into a power struggle between two strong factions within Atlanta's magic circles.
The Masters of the Dead, necromancers who can control vampires, and the Pack, a paramilitary clan of shapechangers, blame each other for a series of bizarre killings—and the death of Kate's guardian may be part of the same mystery. Pressured by both sides to find the killer, Kate realizes she's way out of her league—but she wouldn't have it any other way.

Source: I purchased a Kindle copy.

Add to Goodreads

Review:

Magic Bites was pretty awesome. I was in the mood for a well written paranormal series/urban fantasy to get me through the tough times after finishing the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning and feeling a book hangover coming on. I hear some awesome things about the series and the author, so I snatched up a few books as part of a Kindle daily deal. It didn’t disappoint and it certainly turned what could have been a rough book hangover into a new obsession and binge read.

I loved how the book threw me right into the story. I had no idea how the world was set up, but it was slowly revealed in pieces. Obviously, this is a world where magic exists and we all know about it. Which was kind of cool. And it messed with technology. And that’s all I knew. I love great world building, but I also like it when the author throws me into a story with tons of mystery and intrigue. As far as first books go, it wasn’t the most convincing novel to get me to read the rest of the series, but I see a ton of potential, I got to know Kate and understand her world, and I have a feeling it can only get better from here.

Magic Bites was incredibly violent. The descriptions were amazing and conjured up some pretty gruesome images. For me, that’s a huge plus in any story that involves a kick ass heroine who gets tangled in the paranormal. But if you prefer your stories a bit fluffier, then it may not be for you.
I definitely recommend the novel. I’m moving on the rest of the series, which only gets better as it goes on from what I’ve been hearing.

4%2520star

Labels: , ,