Review–Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1) by Cassandra Clare

7171637
 
Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1)
 
by Cassandra Clare

Summary: In a time when Shadowhunters are barely winning the fight against the forces of darkness, one battle will change the course of history forever. Welcome to the Infernal Devices trilogy, a stunning and dangerous prequel to the New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments series.
The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into London’s dark supernatural underworld in search of her missing brother. She soon discovers that her only allies are the demon-slaying Shadowhunters—including Will and Jem, the mysterious boys she is attracted to. Soon they find themselves up against the Pandemonium Club, a secret organization of vampires, demons, warlocks, and humans. Equipped with a magical army of unstoppable clockwork creatures, the Club is out to rule the British Empire, and only Tessa and her allies can stop them....


Source: I purchased a paperback

Add to Goodreads

Review:

I have had The Infernal Devices on my TBR shelf for ages. I loved The Mortal Instruments series, but I stopped at City of Glass and just sort of left everything else unread. I think the excitement of the movie sort of took over and I never returned to the Shadowhunter world. I’m really glad I picked up Clockwork Angel finally. It renewed my love of the Shadowhunter world, while also giving me new characters and plots.

I didn’t care for Tessa at first because she was naïve, but she grew on me over time as she was less of a proper lady and her instincts were more closely matched to that of a Shadowhunter. It was Jessamine that I couldn’t stand and still can’t because she is shallow and boring. I loved the rest of the characters and thought Will and Jem were both charming and interesting. I wanted to know everyone’s stories. I wanted to see what this older Shadowhunter world was like.

I continue to be amazed by the world. There is something so intriguing about the way it is set up and how Shadowhunters maintain the balance, however shaky that balance may be. The whole clockwork plot mixed into everything was exciting and very Steampunk, with a good mixture of magic and paranormal aspects that I love.

Clockwork Angel ended well, but of course, there were some very unresolved things and emotions. I’m glad I have book two, so I can dive right in. I did like that Clockwork Angel felt a little less YA than City of Bones because it took out the modern world and it wasn’t so focused on relationships as I remember City of Bones was. There was some chemistry between some characters, but most of it still has to be developed. That isn’t to say there is no romance, though, as there is a bit and it’s enough to keep me interested.

I definitely recommend this series so far!

4%2520star

Labels: ,