Review–Shades of Earth (Across the Universe #3) by Beth Revis

10345937
 
Shades of Earth (Across the Universe #3)
 
by Beth Revis
 
Summary: Amy and Elder have finally left the oppressive walls of the spaceship Godspeed behind. They're ready to start life afresh--to build a home--on Centauri-Earth, the planet that Amy has traveled 25 trillion miles across the universe to experience.
But this new Earth isn't the paradise Amy had been hoping for. There are giant pterodactyl-like birds, purple flowers with mind-numbing toxins, and mysterious, unexplained ruins that hold more secrets than their stone walls first let on. The biggest secret of all? Godspeed's former passengers aren't alone on this planet. And if they're going to stay, they'll have to fight.
Amy and Elder must race to discover who--or what--else is out there if they are to have any hope of saving their struggling colony and building a future together. They will have to look inward to the very core of what makes them human on this, their most harrowing journey yet. Because if the colony collapses? Then everything they have sacrificed--friends, family, life on Earth--will have been for nothing.
FUELED BY LIES.
RULED BY CHAOS.
ALMOST HOME.


Source: I purchased a Kindle copy

Add to Goodreads  

Review:

Shades of Earth was very addicting and interesting. I preferred it over A Million Suns and I enjoyed the direction of the book. Shades of Earth was so different from the first two books, mainly because Amy and Elder were off the ship and on a completely new planet with hundreds of possibilities.

The setting completely changed, as did the conflict. It wasn’t just about Amy and Elder and the shipborn people. The frozen people were unfrozen, creating an entirely new dynamic. There was a distinct line between the shipborn and Earthborn people and the military personnel on board went into military mode immediately, which undermined Elder’s rule. And the even more complicated part? The military leader was Amy’s dad. The social structures and relationships were incredibly interesting. The Earthborn people treated the shipborns as less than human at times and there was a constant struggle for trust among the survivors.

I still can’t stand Amy and disliked her throughout the entire novel. I loathed the fact that her dad was the military leader because it gave Amy another excuse to be the immature girl she is all the time. Her dad completely dismissed her, despite knowing she had been awake for three whole months. In his defense, I would probably dismiss Amy and her concerns, too, but it was frustrating to see that whole dynamic in place. Fortunately, Amy did grow up a little. She made great decisions for the most part and didn’t whine at all. Sometimes, I was frustrated because she wasn’t sympathetic to the people from the ship adjusting to the planet and I worried that she’d alienate Elder.

Mostly, I was curious about the planet. Something was happening and I had no idea what. People were dying and the alien creatures were much smarter and sneakier than I imagined. The best part about the conflict as far as the planet was concerned was not knowing the direction the author would take. It was part mystery, part science fiction, part horror. Some moments reminded me of the Riddick movies, with the strange planet, pterodactyl type creatures, and evidence that maybe the people who landed weren’t the first people there. I enjoyed that aspect, but I also loved the mystery of finding out other connections and the overall mission of Godspeed, FRX, and the military.

I loved the conclusion. It was unique and exciting. The mystery escalated throughout the novel and I loved not knowing what would happen next. I definitely recommend the series. Amy is my least favorite character, I think, but I was able to enjoy and love the books anyway, which really says something.

5%2520star

Labels: , ,