Feature and Follow Friday–READ THIS BOOK!

FF_2013Button
 
hosted by Parajunkee and Alison Can Read
 
This week is an activity!
 
Bookselling Time: Go to your biggest bookcases. Go to the second shelf from the top and pick out the sixth book from the left. Hardsell that book to us – even if you haven’t read it or if you hated it. (if you don’t have bookcases, don’t have six books on one shelf, etc, pick a book at random)

Never Fade (The Darkest Minds #2)
 
by Alexandra Bracken
 
IMG_20131109_211748


Okay, so basically The Darkest Minds was one of my favorite books of 2012. For one, it took me by surprise. I wasn’t expecting a book so violent and messed up and I say that in a good way. It is a hard hitting, action packed novel with absolutely unforgettable characters.

Never Fade is the sequel and it doesn’t suffer from that whole “second book syndrome” that makes us all a little sad. The Darkest Minds was GREAT, but Never Fade was EVEN BETTER. It’s a must read.

So how do you know if the series is right for you?

Do you like dystopian stories?

Do you like when worlds fall apart, disease, chaos, fear, and pandemonium occur?

Do you like action packed, gripping plots?

Do you love amazing characters who stay with you forever?

If so, then you’re definitely in the right place.

There is violence and it’s wonderfully described and will have you on the edge of your seat, but there’s a nice balance, too. Ruby, Liam, Chubs, and Suzume are some of the most memorable and loveable characters in dystopian fiction. Her’s one nice scene: they cruise down a deserted highway in a beloved van, singing along with the radio to old music. I mean, can’t you just picture it? Sure, they may be running away from people chasing them and terrified, but for just one moment, they stop to savor the small moment.

The best part about the series is that it’s honestly not the Next or New Anything. It’s not really comparable to any other popular dystopians, which is a relief. Ruby is not a Tris, a Katniss, a Juliette. She’s Ruby. She’s not defined by her emotions, weakness, or strength. There’s no science fiction, futuristic world with districts or factions. There’s literal chaos as children are shipped off to camps to help calm them down or keep them alive, parents surrendering their only living children who may carry a virus to save them or surrendering them in fear of what they have the ability to do. There are powers, but not like the mutant powers of the X-men kind of stories. I am unable to really grab at any popular story and compare it.

Seriously, The Darkest Minds and Never Fade are amazing.

I seriously love Liam’s character. It’s like, I get this warm feeling and a smile starts to form on my face. He’s such a good person, who makes Ruby and the rest of his friends laugh. He’s just so.. wonderful in a world that should have sucked all of that out of him. Chubs is so nerdy and sensitive and judgmental, but in a sweet way. And Zu… she’s just Zu.

Honestly, the only people I can think who wouldn’t like the series are people who don’t like violence. In which case, the series isn’t for you at all. Everyone else, though, should totally pick it up.


I know I’ve sort of sold book one more than book two, but I can’t imagine anyone reading and loving book one and not just immediately picking up Never Fade. But I can’t REALLY talk about the events of Never Fade without spoiling book one. So. Just trust me.

Did I convince you?

THE DARKEST MINDS: Goodreads . Amazon . Barnes and Noble
NEVER FADE (The Darkest Minds #2): Goodreads . Amazon . Barnes and Noble

Still Need More Convincing?

Read My Review: The Darkest Minds
Read My Review: Never Fade

What book did you pick from your shelf?
 
bloglovin-300x180
 
Be sure to tell me in the comments how you follow and I’ll follow you back!
 
 

Labels: , , , , ,