Review–The 100 (The Hundred #1) by Kass Morgan

17332969
 
The 100 (The Hundred #1)
 
by Kass Morgan
 
Summary: In the future, humans live in city-like spaceships orbiting far above Earth's toxic atmosphere. No one knows when, or even if, the long-abandoned planet will be habitable again. But faced with dwindling resources and a growing populace, government leaders know they must reclaim their homeland... before it's too late.
Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents are being sent on a high-stakes mission to recolonize Earth. After a brutal crash landing, the teens arrive on a savagely beautiful planet they've only seen from space. Confronting the dangers of this rugged new world, they struggle to form a tentative community. But they're haunted by their past and uncertain about the future. To survive, they must learn to trust - and even love – again.


Soon to be a show on the CW!

Release Date: Sept 3, 2013

Genre: YA Dystopian Sci Fi Post Apocalyptic

Where to Buy: Amazon . Barnes and Noble

Add to Goodreads

Source: I purchased a hardcover.

Review:

I enjoyed The 100. The premise was intriguing and the writing sucked me in immediately. The story was told from the points of view of 4 characters: Clarke, Glass, Wells, and Bellamy. Most of them were Confined on their ships for breaking a law and set to be executed after their 18th birthdays. Instead, they found themselves as part of the “lucky” 100 to go down to Earth and determine the safety of the planet. The ones who weren’t already Confined had a loved one who would be sent down to Earth and did extreme things to get on that ship.

I loved the mixture of science fiction and dystopia on the spaceships above earth and the post apocalyptic and action on the Earth. It was a story that gave me everything I really wanted in terms of genre. Each of the characters had their own story and reasons for ending up where they did. Even better, most of them knew each other, so their histories overlapped in certain areas.

The 100 had plenty of drama and romance on top of the action packed plot, though book 1 was mostly informative and I knew it was setting me up for the rest of the series. It was full of action, but the entire story arc wasn’t present. Normally, this infuriates me, but the pace of the novel was so good and the writing sucked me in so immediately, I wasn’t all that mad when it was over. I want more, sure, but I’m definitely happy with what I got. I also felt like the backstories I got from all of the characters were much needed.

The front cover of the book informs me that The 100 will be a show on The CW and the entire time I was reading, I felt like it was extremely appropriate that it be turned into a show. Like I said, even though this was clearly a beginning novel, it was so engrossing and there was so much happening and so many dynamics. It was a great book and it will translate really well into a TV show. The characters came to life and I wanted more.. more of what happens next, but also more backstory!

I definitely recommend The 100. It isn’t the best of the genre, but it was really good and combined a lot of elements into one amazing premise. I think people will really enjoy it and I’m super excited for the show.
 4%2520star

Labels: , , , ,