Review–Hopeless (Hopeless #1) by Colleen Hoover

15717943
 
Hopeless (Hopeless #1)
 
by Colleen Hoover
 
Summary: Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…
That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.
Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.


Source: I purchased a Kindle copy of this book.  

Review:

5%2520star 

Hopeless was absolutely incredible. I was expecting a contemporary romance where girl meets boy and love somehow happens, but I got so much more than that. Hopeless was deep and gritty and complicated. And beautifully written. And intense.

Hopeless was such an amazing story. The title, though incredibly perfect, was misleading at first. The book was not about hopelessness at all. Rather, it was full of hope and love and acceptance. It was so not hopeless. And despite the first impression of Holder and what the synopsis implies, Holder wasn’t hopeless, either.

I loved Sky. Her character was so real. She was smart, funny, brave, and complicated. I loved her perspective and the way she looked at the world. I loved how she fell for Holder while also attempting to not fall for him. And I loved how she was so nonchalant about everything until she met Holder and his intensity opened her up. It was so perfect.

I loved how I didn’t know what was going to happen and how the characters never made a big deal out of nothing. Nothing in the plot was for drama’s sake. Conflict wasn’t added to create drama, but was there for other reasons. It was such a flawlessly executed storyline that shocked me so many times. And I also loved how the story made me laugh and also made me sad. It made me feel a wide range of emotions.

I don’t want to give any parts of the plot away. It was incredible and I had no idea what to expect. I loved it and I highly recommend it. It wasn’t a light read, but it was the kind of book that was so well written and interesting that you just can’t put it down. It dealt with so many issues without being an “issue” type of novel. I can’t wait to read more of Colleen Hoover’s books.   

Quotes:
“‘It’s real, Six. You can’t get mad at a read ending. Some of them are ugly. It’s the fake happily ever afters that should piss you off.’”  
“It’s what happens when two people become one: they no longer only share love. They also share all of the pain, heartache, sorrow, and grief.”  
“The events of your life are all crammed together one minute right after the other without any time lapses or blank pages or chapter breaks because no matter what happens life just keeps going and moving forward and words keep flowing and truths keep spewing whether you like it or not and life never lets you pause and just catch your fucking breath.”  
“Sky, you are beautiful. You are possibly the most exquisite creature in the universe and if anyone tells you otherwise, I’ll cut a bitch.”


Labels: ,