Musing Mondays–Out of Sight, Out of Mind

musing-mondays
 
hosted by Should Be Reading
 
Musing Mondays asks you to muse about one of the following each week…
 
• Describe one of your reading habits.

• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).

• What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!

• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.

• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!

• Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!
 
 
I’ve been doing  a lot of catching up on my TBR shelf recently. I have so many great books to read that have been sitting for far too long. It has been great, but I realized I have only been knocking out my physical TBR shelf…

In the e-book vs. physical book debate, I choose both for different reasons. I love my Kindle, love the ease of carrying it, buying books instantly, reading in the dark, changing the font, highlighting passages, using a dictionary instantly, etc. But it seems as if I suffer from “out of sight, out of mind” phenomenon when it comes to my TBR shelf. Or any shelf. I’m terrible. Instead of ads, I feel like my Kindle should flash “Hey, you bought this. It’s probably good, so, just reminding you that you actually own this book” messages. Amazon always emails me about reviewing books I’ve bought, but it’s always some obscure book I downloaded for free on a whim. (Can I just STOP doing this?!)

I seriously forget I have certain books when I don’t see them. It’s not just an e-book thing. It’s any book I can’t literally see in front of me when I look at my shelf. It’s not just a TBR shelf syndrome, either. I just spit out tons of great reading recommendations to a friend. Gone Girl is currently with my stepmom, so I didn’t even think about the book at all until days later and had to call my friend to tell her to read it. I know I read a lot of books and it gets hard to keep track of mentally.

For the Kindle issue, I need to take advantage of the cover view and go through my collections of TBR books so the titles run through my mind a few times and I’ll remember that I own them, I want to read them, and they exist. =)

Anyone else have issues with out of sight, out of mind when it comes to books?

Labels: