Review–Poison by Bridget Zinn

8113512
 
Poison
 
by Bridget Zinn
 
Summary: Sixteen-year-old Kyra, a highly-skilled potions master, is the only one who knows her kingdom is on the verge of destruction—which means she’s the only one who can save it. Faced with no other choice, Kyra decides to do what she does best: poison the kingdom’s future ruler, who also happens to be her former best friend.
But, for the first time ever, her poisoned dart . . . misses.
Now a fugitive instead of a hero, Kyra is caught in a game of hide-and-seek with the king’s army and her potioner ex-boyfriend, Hal. At least she’s not alone. She’s armed with her vital potions, a too-cute pig, and Fred, the charming adventurer she can’t stop thinking about. Kyra is determined to get herself a second chance (at murder), but will she be able to find and defeat the princess before Hal and the army find her?
Kyra is not your typical murderer, and she’s certainly no damsel-in-distress—she’s the lovable and quick-witted hero of this romantic novel that has all the right ingredients to make teen girls swoon.


Source: I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Review:

5%2520star

I absolutely adored Poison. The book had a fairy tale type of feel to it with the existence of magic and potions and creatures of all sorts. It was fun, quirky, adventurous, and thoroughly enjoyable.

Kyra was on the run after attempting to kill the princess, who was also her best friend. I loved how the story began and how I didn’t know the details of the assassination attempt or Kyra’s life because I was able to learn as I read. I immediately fell in love with Kyra because she was sharp and adventurous. Plus, she was scaling a building dressed in all black at the start of the book and I just can’t resist a good troublemaker. Bits of the story unraveled as Kyra found herself in various situations and I was able to piece together how Kyra ended up running from everyone she used to trust. It added a bit of mystery to an already adventurous plot.

Kyra was given a pig to track down the princess, which was hilarious. I never thought I’d enjoy seeing a pig in a fantasy novel, but I loved Rosie. And Fred was another awesome character. Kyra found herself wading in a river in her underpants holding Rosie above her head when she ran into Fred, which was also hilarious and amusing. But Poison was more than just a fun story. It was enchanting and I fell in love with the characters, romance, and adventure.

I highly recommend Poison. It has the perfect mixture of adventure, fun, romance, and magic. It was well written and fast paced with loveable characters. My only complaint is that it wasn’t long enough, but that is because I was loving it so much and speeding through it hungrily!

Poison releases March 12, 2013 and is available for pre-order



Labels: ,