Review–Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test #2) by Aimee Carter

9780373210459_TS_SMP.indd
 
Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test #2)
 
by Aimee Carter
 
Summary: Kate Winters has won immortality. But if she wants a life with Henry in the Underworld, she'll have to fight for it. Becoming immortal wasn't supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she's as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he's becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate's coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans.
As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future.
Henry's first wife, Persephone.
 
Source: I borrowed a copy of this book for Kindle from my local library.

Review:

5%2520star

I can’t help it: I love this series! Even when I can’t stand Kate and I just want to punch her in the face for being needy and ridiculous, I still love her. And Henry. Goddess Interrupted was full of action, emotions, betrayals, secrets, and war. I loved every second.

The book began with Kate going back to the Underworld for the fall. In the middle of accepting her duty as Queen of the Underworld, Cronus began to escape, thanks to the vengeful Calliope. (Figures!) If that was difficult enough, Kate searched the Underworld for Persephone, the only person with the knowledge to help her and the last person she ever wanted to meet. It was shocking how crazy things got in a short amount of time.

For the majority of the book, Kate struggled with understanding Henry and felt like she was living in Persephone’s shadow, which was made worse after actually having to meet and deal with Persephone. A lot of negative reviews talked about Kate’s attitude and I must admit, they kind of have a point. Even I wanted to slap Kate or call her out for being mopey and idiotic. But I understood why she was that way and it made sense, so I didn’t knock the book for it at all.


Warning: If you haven’t read the book, the following paragraph may be considered a bit spoiler-ish (but not really), but I feel the need to explain why I disliked but also understood Kate’s self doubt:

She was all bent out of shape about Henry not loving her because he wasn’t sweeping her off of her feet when she returned to the Underworld. She was driving me nuts with all her self doubt. As a military wife, I have dealt with spending time away from my husband and learning how to come together again after a deployment and sometimes, life gets in the way. A good example is how on some occasions, my husband comes back from deployment and is so exhausted that all he wants to do is sleep when gets home instead of showering me with awesomeness, even though he really missed me. So while Kate was going off on tangents about how Henry wasn’t showing his love the right way so he must not love her, I had a million things I wanted to yell at her about being ridiculous. However, I also have to admit that her feelings were not unrealistic even if I can’t necessarily relate in the same way. Being thrust into a new life with a new husband you don’t know that well is bound to produce tons of self doubt and questions for most people and without knowing how to communicate, those issues only get worse. I can’t fault Kate for her feelings, even if she was mopey. Also, the other characters were there for me and told her basically the same things I would have told her.

End of spoiler-ish paragraph.


I loved the conflict in Goddess Interrupted and the appearance of the Titans. I enjoyed being able to meet some more characters, understand the ways of the gods a bit more, and see the Underworld for the first time. And as always, I loved Henry and Kate. As I said in my review of The Goddess Test, Hades has always been my favorite Greek god and I love that this series tells his story in a different way. I love Henry’s character so much and I’m impressed by all that the author has managed to do with him. This story is awesome and holds a special place in my heart for many reason, though the fact that it’s a story of Hades and love is perhaps the most important.

Book two did not disappoint and the stakes were even higher than before. Some of the scenes made me cringe, drop my jaw, gasp, want to cry, swoon, etc. I love it when a book makes me react and this one certainly did. And the ending was awesome. I can’t wait to read the Goddess Test novellas and finally get my hands on book #3! I definitely recommend this series, especially if you like Greek mythology with a creative twist.

The Goddess Hunt (Goddess Test #1.5) novella is currently FREE for Kindle.

Labels: , ,