Review–The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner (Twilight #3.5)

7937462
 
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner (Twilight #3.5)
 
by Stephenie Meyer
 
Summary: Fans of The Twilight Saga will be enthralled by this riveting story of Bree Tanner, a character first introduced in Eclipse, and the darker side of the newborn vampire world she inhabits.
In another irresistible combination of danger, mystery, and romance, Stephenie Meyer tells the devastating story of Bree and the newborn army as they prepare to close in on Bella Swan and the Cullens, following their encounter to its unforgettable conclusion.
Bree Tanner can barely remember life before she had uncannily powerful senses, superhuman reflexes and unstoppable physical strength. Life before she had a relentless thirst for blood... life before she became a vampire.
All Bree knows is that living with her fellow newborns has few certainties and even fewer rules: watch your back, don't draw attention to yourself and, above all, make it home by sunrise or die. What she doesn't know: her time as an immortal is quickly running out.
Then Bree finds an unexpected friend in Diego, a newborn just as curious as Bree about their mysterious creator, whom they know only as "her". As they come to realize that the newborns are pawns in a game larger than anything they could have imagined, Bree and Diego must choose sides and decide whom to trust. But when everything you know about vampires is based on a lie, how do you find the truth?


Source: I purchased a hardcover copy from my local used bookstore.

Review:

4%2520star

When I first heard about this book, I thought, why Bree? Of all the characters to earn a short story, why on earth would Stephenie Meyer choose Bree? This curiosity is what led me to pick this book up at my used bookstore. It’s been sitting on my bookshelf for almost a year, but once I picked it up, I read it in a couple of hours.

I actually enjoyed The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner and ended up liking it a lot more than I ever expected. The one thing I never got from the Twilight Saga is a glimpse of the more ruthless vampires without Bella’s filter or Jacob’s hatred. Sure, Jasper and Rosalie had their own small spotlights in Eclipse, but The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner was written in first person from Bree’s point of view, which was wonderful. Viewing the more violent vampires without the personal bias from Bella or Jacob was refreshing.

Mostly, I appreciated the viewpoint and different aspect of the same story. I thought it was interesting to get a behind the scenes look at the mess in Seattle and see the Cullen's through the eyes of someone other than Bella or Jacob. Bree’s second life was short, but pretty interesting. I  also liked the fact that Bree called herself a disco ball once she found out she didn’t burn in the sun, too. I mean, someone has to say it, right? I just appreciated her sarcasm and the fact that Stephenie Meyer was good natured enough to throw that in there.

I would recommend this book to those who enjoy the Twilight Saga. It’s a good short story with a little more of a dark side than the rest of the series. It certainly isn’t going to make anyone fall in love with the Saga, but it’s also a story that doesn’t only appeal to fanatics.



Labels: ,