Booking Through Thursday–Influence

btt2
 
hosted by Booking Through Thursday
 
 
This week’s question:
 
Do other people influence what you choose to read? When a family member recommends something, or a friend says they hated a book you were planning to read … does it affect your reading choices?
 
Yes, definitely. The excitement other book bloggers have for books almost always rubs off on me and I buy those books all of the time. I think it’s probably unhealthy for me to follow so many other book lovers and book nerds because now I have a large TBR shelf problem and I can’t stop buying new & exciting books.

I also tend to listen to the recommendations of friends I have with similar reading tastes. It’s weird because only one or two people have to say “I LOVED THIS BOOK” for me to get excited and buy it, but it takes a much larger amount of people to dislike a book for me to not want to read it.

Even the algorithms If You Like This Book, You’ll Like… on Barnes and Noble receipts and Goodreads recommendations make me buy books. I actually caught myself getting excited about the blurbs on the back cover of books the other day and I had to stop myself from getting excited about it by reading actual reviews on Goodreads. So, yeah, I’m definitely easily influenced by the love other people have for books.

Labels: ,