Review–Nobody’s Damsel (Someone Else’s Fairytale #2) by E.M. Tippetts

nobodys damsel
 
Nobody’s Damsel (Someone Else’s Fairytale #2)

by E.M. Tippetts

This book will be released January 5, 2013.

Summary: Chloe has finished her masters degree and taken a job as a forensic scientist back in her home town of Albuquerque, New Mexico, only the press will not leave her alone. They follow her to crime scenes and report on her every move, eager to show that her marriage to Hollywood A-lister, Jason Vanderholt, is on the brink of collapse. Millions of fans who dream of their own celebrity romance with him want this more than anything. This scrutiny comes at a particularly bad time as Chloe's first case is a crime against a child roughly the same age that Chloe was when she survived a homicide attempt.
Now that she sees the case from an adult's perspective, she realizes it's much harder than she ever dreamed. It's even worse for Jason, who is two steps removed from the crime. He must watch and try to support his wife as she battles with past demons and tries to keep up with a nameless suspect who evades identification and capture. Never has Jason been more frustrated with his job, its frivolities, and its lack of connection to the real world. When he storms off the set of his latest movie, the press goes wild with conjecture. While he says he wants to work on a project that means something, his agent and manager fear this may be the end of his time in the spotlight. Perhaps he never was anything more than a pretty face after all.
Together, Chloe and Jason must find their way past all the popping flashbulbs and through the dark maze of the criminal investigation to discover whether they can balance their professional goals with the demands of a celebrity marriage. The odds are entirely against them.


Review:

5%2520star
 
I loved this sequel! When I reviewed Someone Else’s Fairytale, I gushed about how much I loved the characters and how down to earth and real and believable they were and Nobody’s Damsel felt the same way.

My favorite aspect of this sequel was seeing how Jason and Chloe began their life together and watching them work out the kinks in their relationship. It felt so realistic and I could relate to so many aspects of it. I enjoy a good romance with tons of steam and maybe even a love triangle here and there, but it was so refreshing to see two people overcome real issues and talk things out. Chloe and Jason have completely different careers and Jason’s was hard to deal with when the paparazzi followed Chloe around on a regular basis and the tabloids made up ridiculous stories. It was like the two of them decided to spend the rest of their life together and that was no question, but they were figuring out the logistics of every day life. I could relate because I’ve been there and I loved the way the two of them handled things. I love when sequels tackle the logistics of two people starting a relationship when book one is typically how they meet and fall in love. I like to see love radiate off of the characters even after initially falling into it and Nobody’s Damsel was perfect in that sense.

I hate to give away much from the series (especially since it’s a given that Jason and Chloe ended up together after book 1), but I liked seeing Chloe work in her field and overcome her own past in order to get through a difficult case that mirrored her own in so many ways. Nobody’s Damsel wasn’t a dark book, nor what I would classify as a crime drama, but both played a major role in the plot. I thought it was interesting to combine what I would call a contemporary upper YA romance with a crime drama and E.M. Tippetts was able to do it well.

E.M. Tippetts has a fantastic ability to write a great story. Nobody’s Damsel made me smile and made me frown and upset me in some parts and it had suspense in others. Somehow, the author was able to get me to care about crime drama and life as a celebrity, two things that I wouldn’t have considered appealing to read about, without me even realizing how it happened! I absolutely love Jason and Chloe, as characters and as a couple. I couldn’t put this book down and I loved it so much, I contemplated picking up book 1 and rereading it because I wanted to experience the series from the beginning again. I highly recommend this series and I can’t wait to read more from the author.

Someone Else's Fairytale (Book #1) is only $0.99 for Kindle
 
 
This book completes the category Published in 2013 for the 2013 Eclectic Reader Challenge hosted by Book'd Out
 
Categories
Translated fiction
Historical mystery
Romantic suspense
Made into a movie
New Adult
Urban Fantasy
Dystopian
Memoir
LGBT
Action Adventure
Humour
Published in 2013

Labels: , , ,