Review–Divergent by Veronica Roth

divergent

Divergent (Divergent #1)

by Veronica Roth

Summary: In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.
Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series--dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.

Source: I purchased a new copy of this book in paperback.

Review:

5%2520star

I absolutely loved Divergent. It was an incredible, well written, creative dystopian story with incredibly complex characters and a stunning world. The premise was brilliant and appealed to everything I love about dystopian fiction.

Divergent has been recommended to me a lot and it is incredibly popular. I expected to enjoy it because it is rare that I don’t enjoy dystopian books, but I am impressed and awed by how much I loved it. I’m glad I finally read it, because I know what all the fuss was about and I can call myself a huge fan, now. I could gush about virtually every aspect of the story, from the writing to the depth of the characters to the world building. Everything was spectacularly done. It’s a story and world that I am excited to revisit and I can’t wait for an excused to reread the book and I just finished!

The way society is set up is so interesting and ingenious, really. The way it is divided and the way each faction views one other is brilliantly done, reflecting human nature quite perfectly. I think Tris may be one of my favorite characters of all time. She was the perfect balance of strength and weakness for me and I loved seeing the world through her eyes.

Divergent really is awesome. I recommend it. It’s a must read. It is a book that lives up to every bit of hype.

It is currently on sale for Kindle for $6.56



 
This book completes the category Dystopian for the 2013 Eclectic Reader Challenge hosted by Book'd Out
Categories
Translated fiction
Historical mystery
Romantic suspense
Made into a movie
New Adult
Urban Fantasy
Dystopian
Memoir
LGBT
Action Adventure
Humour
Published in 2013

Labels: , , ,