Review–Crossed (Matched #2) by Ally Condie

Crossed
 
Crossed (Matched #2)
 
by Ally Condie
 
Summary: In search of a future that may not exist and faced with the decision of who to share it with, Cassia journeys to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky - taken by the Society to his certain death - only to find that he has escaped, leaving a series of clues in his wake.
Cassia's quest leads her to question much of what she holds dear, even as she finds glimmers of a different life across the border. But as Cassia nears resolve and certainty about her future with Ky, an invitation for rebellion, an unexpected betrayal, and a surprise visit from Xander - who may hold the key to the uprising and, still, to Cassia's heart - change the game once again. Nothing is as expected on the edge of Society, where crosses and double crosses make the path more twisted than ever.


Review:

5%2520star

I love the world Ally Condie created in the Matched series. I’m so in love with this series and book two did not disappoint! There’s such a beautiful and magical quality to the story that has me hooked. I managed to highlight 61 quotes in my Kindle, a record amount of highlighting for me. I highlighted passages that spoke me to me on some level, –ones I wanted to file away and keep and look at later– and there were many. I love the way the author writes.

Crossed introduces the point of view of Ky in addition to Cassia’s point of view. I liked the addition because I felt like I got to know Ky a lot more and I realized he’s even more complex than I (or Cassia) previously thought. In the first book, the stolen moments between Ky and Cassia consisted of sharing bits of personal history and forbidden poetry and I got to see how they fell for each other. In this book, I get to see how they love each other more and how the growth is both complicating and amazing, whether they are together or separated.

The thing I love the most about Cassia and Ky is how they can both be so mature and complex and brave and so naïve all at the same time, Cassia especially. There’s so much depth and dimension to who they are. Even their love and the reasons they do the things they do intrigue me. This book wasn’t the story of Cassia naively running off to reunite with Ky, but it was. Cassia manages to do some of the riskiest things for no other reason than finding Ky, which is both stupid and noble, probably. Their relationship is built on so little, but it’s also built on something solid and real, which is all they have. I’m just stunned by the complexity of it all and how innocent and touching their relationship is.

New characters are introduced in Crossed, along with new secrets and revelations and complications. There are many jaw dropping moments. The plot was interesting with lots of twists and turns and the story itself was full of love, hope, poetry, art, despair, and so much more. I have fallen even more in love with the series.

I know my review speaks mainly of Ky and Cassia’s relationship, but there is much more to the book. I think what draws me to their relationship is that their love caused them to make choices and those choices are the reason they are where they are and their decisions will continue to have an impact on their lives. In the Society, such choices aren’t existent, so their love really is the defining factor. And if you are a fan of Xander and not Ky, there’s a lot more happening on that front, too, that will lead to more choices.

It’s hard for me to pick just one quote from the book that represents all of the things I love about it, but I really liked this one and I think it speaks for the kind of love that is in the story and the kind of descriptions the author likes to use. It’s probably my favorite.
“Everyone has something of beauty about them. In the beginning for me, it was Ky’s eyes I noticed, and I love them still. But loving lets you look, and look, and look again. You notice the back of a hand, the turn of a head, the way of a walk. When you first love, you look blind and you see it all as the glorious, beloved whole, or a beautiful sum of beautiful parts. But when you see the one you love as pieces, as whys—why he walks like this, why he closes his eyes like that—you can love those parts, too, and it’s a love at once more complicated and more complete.”

Labels: