Musing Mondays–Reading Now

musingmondays4

hosted by Should Be Reading

The New Musing Mondays asks you to muse about one of the following each week…

• Describe one of your reading habits.
• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.

Right now, I’m reading Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. I’ve heard of this book before and it’s been on my to-read list for ages. After the movie came out, I decided I needed to read the book sooner rather than later and checked it out at my local library via Kindle.

I honestly don’t know how I feel about it. Each of the stories are quite interesting, but I’m sensing a lack of connection to an overall picture. Sure, each story connects to the one before it and the one after it, but not by a whole lot. I just have this dreadful feeling that I’m not going to like or appreciate the overall picture. Right now, despite the fact that I am impressed by David Mitchell’s ability to write various kinds of stories, I feel like he’s just showing off his skills rather than giving me something profound.

I think my thoughts will change, as they have along the way, because I’m only halfway through the book, which means I’m halfway through each individual story.

On another note:

Feel free to stop by my Giveaway for Chase Tinker and the House of Magic (a middle grade fantasy adventure). It’s the first giveaway of the year for me and also the first in quite a long time, it seems. Enter to win some great stuff here: Giveaway & Interview