Review–Rapture (Fallen #4) by Lauren Kate

Rapture

Rapture (Fallen #4)

by Lauren Kate

Summary: The sky is dark with wings . . . .
Like sand in an hourglass, time is running out for Luce and Daniel. To stop Lucifer from erasing the past they must find the place where the angels fell to earth. Dark forces are after them, and Daniel doesn’t know if he can do this—live only to lose Luce again and again.
Yet together they will face an epic battle that will end with lifeless bodies . . . and angel dust. Great sacrifices are made. Hearts are destroyed. And suddenly Luce knows what must happen.
For she was meant to be with someone other than Daniel. The curse they’ve borne has always and only been about her—and the love she cast aside. The choice she makes now will be the only one that truly matters.
In the fight for Luce, who will win?
The astonishing conclusion to the FALLEN series. Heaven can’t wait any longer.

Review:

4%2520star

My biggest complaint about the first two novels in the Fallen series was the focus on romance above all else, especially when so much could be done with the plot and premise. I had no idea that the third and fourth books would approach the story in a completely different way and finally focus on the bigger picture. In some ways, Rapture contrasts the other novels because it was so focused on the bigger picture, as Luce and Daniel’s love was a given and we’ve all accepted it and moved on and it was much more satisfying to me.

Rapture was full of action and suspense and there was little time for stolen moments between Luce and Daniel, though there were some. Lives hung in the balance and the story that started out as an angst filled teenage romance finally showed some grit and Lauren Kate weaved the story of Luce, Daniel, and the other angels with religion and mythology in a fantastic and brilliant way. I was blown away by the twists and turns of the story, especially closer to the end, as Luce finally realized who she was and found her earliest memories. The ending was superb.

Rapture was a wonderful conclusion to the Fallen series, but despite loving it, I couldn’t give it a full five stars. I can’t help but rate the series as a whole at this point and I feel like Rapture almost didn’t fit with the rest of the books. The pacing and overall conflict in the book surpasses the conflict in the previous books. I’m stunned by how brilliant the plot was, but I’m also disappointed that the author waited until book 4 to get to it and really stun me with her writing ability. I was so ready to just get this series over with and it frustrated me that everything I wanted from the first book was finally there, if that makes sense. However, Rapture does fit with the other books in the sense that all the events in the previous novels matter to the plot of the last book and they were all building up to this moment.

Overall, I recommend this book to others. It’s a thrilling conclusion to the series and it makes it worth getting through the previous books. The Fallen series used to be one of those angst-y love triangle series that was my guilty pleasure, but the final book made me appreciate it and respect it more.

Labels: