ReRead, Review, and Challenge–Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer

2012%20twilight%20series%20challenge_thumb[1]

428263

The Twilight Series 2012 Challenge is hosted at Pages of Forbidden Love

Eclipse (The Twilight Saga #3)

by Stephenie Meyer

I haven’t read these books in years, so I’m rereading and reassessing my feelings about the series. I’ll try to review only this book and the previous book and not touch upon the next books in the series.

Summary: As Seattle is ravaged by a string of mysterious killings and a malicious vampire continues her quest for revenge, Bella once again finds herself surrounded by danger. In the midst of it all, she is forced to choose between her love for Edward and her friendship with Jacob - knowing that her decision has the potential to ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewolf. With her graduation quickly approaching, Bella has one more decision to make: life or death. But which is which?
Readers captivated by
Twilight and New Moon will eagerly devour Eclipse, the much-anticipated third book in Stephenie Meyer's riveting vampire love saga.

Review:

4%2520star

While Twilight and New Moon ratings have remained the same during this reread challenge, I actually added a star for Eclipse this time around. I wasn’t really looking forward to continuing the challenge after New Moon. I couldn’t stand so many aspects of New Moon and the only redeeming quality was Jacob’s character. It’s been years since I’ve read Eclipse and the only memories I had were magnified by the movie, which isn’t quite the same.

I started off feeling residual effects of New Moon. I was still aggravated by Edward and his tendency to be controlling in the beginning of Eclipse certainly didn’t help. I struggled to figure out why on earth I liked him so much when I first read the books! When Edward stopped his behavior and Bella began making regular trips to La Push, I started to get into the story more. Edward and Bella’s exchanges were much better from this point on and their relationship became much healthier.

My enjoyment of Eclipse this time around was largely due to the amazing storytelling. The movie leaves so much of the backstory out. I enjoyed the stories of the wolves, from Jacob describing imprinting to the legends of the spirit warriors. This is where I thought the author really shined in her storytelling abilities. Jasper’s backstory was also incredibly interesting and I enjoyed getting to know him better all over again and understanding Meyer’s vampires even better. I also can’t help but be happy about the existence of such violent vampire covens. Despite the fact that I disagree that new vampires should be stronger than old vampires, I was able to appreciate the creativity and logic of the newborn vampires in the story. Getting to understand Rosalie more was also a plus. I thought all of the characters had a lot more depth in Eclipse. Edward and Bella are better together and not quite so melodramatic. I forgot how much of Alice’s personality is missing from the movies and I forgot how well I got to know everyone in the book.

In the movie, I can’t help but prefer Jacob and feel like he has a chance. In the book, however, that’s not the case. While I still like Jacob’s character, I’m not rooting for him in any kind of love triangle situation. There is a love triangle as the book progresses, but not one quite so dramatic as I remember from the movies. It’s got a lot more depth and Bella isn’t some wishy washy person in the book. She just simple loves two people in different ways and recognizes that. The thing I liked about the existence of the love triangle in the book is that I got to know both Edward and Jacob better and understand the relationship dynamics between everyone. Even though I am trying not to think of the next book, I started to see just how well Edward and Jacob got along. I was able to like both of them and not feel like I had to be against one if I wanted the other with Bella.

Book 3 Challenge Questions:

1. Did you forgive Edward or was he leaving a bad taste in your mouth from how New Moon ended?

It took quite awhile, but eventually I began to like him again. I would never use him as any example of the kind of person I’d ever want to be with, but I don’t hate him. After he calmed down with all the controlling aspects, I was fine with him.

2. What did you think of Bella’s character and her decisions in this book?

I liked that Bella stood up for herself a lot more in this book. I used to dislike the way she identified with the third wife from the legends and how useless she felt, but it didn’t really bug me this time around. She didn’t put herself down the same she used to and her objections about her uselessness were based on facts, considering everyone around her was supernatural.

3. The important question from this book would have to be… Edward or Jacob?

I’m fine with Bella being with Edward. It’s her choice and at least they aren’t all melodramatic and annoying and talking about dying all the time. There’s really not another option for Bella since she obviously loves Edward much more. However, I personally like Jacob’s character more than Edward’s. In terms of who Bella should be with, my answer is Edward.

4. Favorite part of this book?

The stories. The legends, the backstories, the explanations, the history… all of it. It’s what made me rate the book higher. It added a lot of depth to the book.

Labels: