Musing Mondays–Did Not Finish Recently

musingmondays4

hosted by Should Be Reading

This week’s musing, courtesy of “iamciska.tumbler.com“, asks…

What was the last book you could not finish and why?

12394032

Undeadly (The Reaper Diaries #1) by Michele Vail.

I was drawn to the cover and the synopsis, but when I opened the book, the narration was extremely juvenile. My example is this quote:

“It was a mondo ick mess. Finally, Anubis went deep into the Underworld and got some badass magic. We’re talking magic so ancient and powerful, it wasn’t supposed to leave the world of the gods, like, ever.”

I probably would have continued reading, but I looked up a few reviews on goodreads and discovered the narration didn’t get better. I am an adult and I read primarily YA novels these days. And that doesn’t embarrass me. But Undeadly was embarrassing for me because the writing was so juvenile.

I saw it on the shelf at Barnes and Noble and was drawn to it again. I may read it just so I can tell myself I did. I didn’t give the book much of a chance to get better and I think that’s why it frustrates me that I didn’t finish it.