Booking Through Thursday–Keeping Track

btt2

hosted by Booking Through Thursday

This week’s question:

Do you keep a list of the books you’ve read? How? In a journal? Through one of the online services? If so, WHY? To keep good records for future reference? To make sure you don’t accidentally reread? If not, why not? Too eager to move on to the next book? Too lazy? Never thought to bother?

Yes, I do keep a list on www.goodreads.com. I started doing it to keep track of what I read because at the time (wow, has it been years ago already?!), I was reading a lot of fiction with similar plots and taking advantage of my local library. There were times when I couldn’t remember if I previously read a book or if it was just a similar plot. I tried using a notebook to write down books I read or checked out of the library, but I’d forget to write it down or I’d lose the paper. And that was back before I read quite so many books each year!

Besides the ability to keep a list, Goodreads has become a major tool in my reading. I can keep track of books I want to read and organize all my books on shelves so I know if I own them, borrowed them, or read them on my Kindle. I organize all my Netgalley books, author requests, and books I’ve won. I can also easily pull up a book on my phone while I’m at the bookstore to see if I had it on my to read list previously. I think I’d be lost without Goodreads. I also keep track of how many books I read each year and amaze myself.

I definitely recommend keeping track because it has kept me organized so I have more time to read. It’s especially helpful for looking up other reviews. Also, the one problem I have with reading on my Kindle is not seeing the cover and back of the book and synopsis, so I use Goodreads a lot to jog my memory if I’m reading a book I downloaded and forgot what it was about.

I use kindle.amazon.com to help me keep track of my Kindle books and share quotes, too. Occasionally I’ve used LibraryThing and Riffle, but Goodreads is still my go-to virtual bookshelf.

Follow or friend me on Goodreads!!

Follow me on kindle.amazon.com!!