2012 End of the Year Book Survey

Image17-1024x584

hosted by Perpetual Page Turner

1. Best Book You Read In 2012? (You can break it down by genre if you want)

I read so many great books, it’s too hard to pick just one, even in a genre…

The TakerThe ReckoningThe Night Circus

Adult Supernatural/Paranormal Fiction: The Taker & The Reckoning by Alma Katsu, The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The HostThe Illustrated Man

Science Fiction/Fantasy: The Host by Stephenie Meyer, The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury

Before I fallLooking for Alaska

Contemporary: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. Looking for Alaska by John Green.

MatchedShatter MeThe Darkest Minds

Dystopian: Matched by Allie Condie, Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi, The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

The Raven BoysThe RadleysCity of BonesLunangelique

Paranormal YA: The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater, The Radleys by Matt Haig, The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare, Lunangelique series by Kristin R. Campbell

43641OutlanderClan of the Cave Bear

Historical Fiction: Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen, Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel

World War ZIt10893214

Horror: World War Z by Max Brooks, It by Stephen King, The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls by Claire Legrand

13512392A9TdhMMCQAEuxVP

Post Apocalyptic: The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa, The Farm by Emily McKay


2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. I didn’t hate it, but it was probably the most disappointing because I had such high expectations.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?

The Host by Stephenie Meyer. I read it out of pure curiosity since the movie is coming out soon and I didn’t expect to love it as much as I did.

4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?

Lunangelique by Kristin R. Campbell. I just want it to be more popular because the story is so good.

5. Best series you discovered in 2012?

The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare

6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?

I can’t even pick… I discovered so many authors this year from well known ones like Chuck Palahniuk and Cassandra Clare to lesser known authors like Kristin R. Campbell and Frankie Rose.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

There’s really not much that’s out of my comfort zone because I love so many different genres, but I suppose Outlander by Diana Gabaldon was one of them. A historical time travel romance is soooo not up my alley at all, but I loved it. Presumed Innocent by Scott Turow was a crime fiction that I really enjoyed, too, even though I avoid crime fiction usually.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?

There were so many books that I devoured this year. World War Z by Max Brooks was really thrilling and difficult to put down.

9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. I know I’m going to reread the entire series because the movie will be coming out and I still haven’t read books 4 and 5. And really, I don’t need the excuse. =)

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?

Shatter Me

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi wins. The details are magnificent and I’m drawn to it all the time.

11. Most memorable character in 2012?

It’s a tie between Warner from Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi and Adair from The Taker Trilogy by Alma Katsu for the more sinister characters. Jace from The Mortal Instruments series and Cole from the Lunangelique series also stick out in my head.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?

I feel like I’m on a Shatter Me kick right now, but definitely Shatter Me. Also, Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk and We Bury The Landscape by Kristine Ong Muslim were both beautifully written.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. It hit me like a ton of bricks and I couldn’t read anything for the rest of the day I finished.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?

The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare and The Host by Stephenie Meyer. They’ve been out for years and I’ve seen them and ignored them for so long.

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012?

The passage that has stayed ingrained in my head is one from The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken:

The hate and mistrust burning in the soldiers’ eyes might have shrunken my spine, but it only sparked rebellion in the older kids. “Go screw yourself!” someone yelled from the back of the bus. We all turned at once, just in time to see the PSF with the flaming red hair launch the butt of her rifle into the teenage boy’s mouth. He let out a shriek of pain and surprise as the soldier did it again, and I saw a faint spray of blood burst from his mouth when he took his next, angry breath. With his hands behind his back, there was no way he could block the attack. He just had to take it. They began moving kids off the bus, one seat of four at a time. But I was still watching that kid, the way he seemed to cloud the air around him with silent, toxic fury. I don't know if he felt me staring, or what, but the boy turned around and met my gaze. He nodded at me, like an encouragement. And we smiled, it was around a mouthful of bloody teeth.

I also love this one from Intangible by J. Meyers:

"As the flames returned to his eyes, two of his teeth elongated, coming to sharp points. The guy's eyes widened at the sight. 'Yes, that's right.' Jonas lowered him down the wall to lean in close to his face. 'I am exactly what you think I am.'"

And this one from The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern:

"'Widge?' Poppet asks after a long silence. 'Yes?' 'Is it not that bad to be trapped somewhere, then? Depending on where you're trapped?' 'I suppose it depends on how much you like the place you're trapped in,' Widget says. 'And how much you like whoever you're stuck with,' Poppet adds, kicking his black boot with her white one." 

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012?

Shortest: Indomitable by J. Meyers at around 50 pages.

Longest: IT by Stephen King at 1152 pages

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. Thankfully, my friend already read it and I was able to text her and yell OMFG at her and she understood.

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).

Cassia and Ky from Matched by Allie Condie. I loved how they shared poems on the side of a mountain. It was just beautiful to me.

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously

The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury or The Host by Stephenie Meyer. Most of the books I read were new to me authors.

20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:

The Radleys by Matt Haig. My friend “Alice” insisted I read it and I really liked it. It wasn’t your typical vampire book.

Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2012 (optional)

1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2012?

I didn’t start book blogging until 2012, but the most helpful blog to me was Parajunkee’s blog. I gained tons of followers through her feature and follow blog hop and I learned how to do what I’m doing through her book blogging 101 posts.

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2012?

I don’t know that I can pick a favorite. I just try and write a helpful and honest review and I like them all in different ways.

3. Best discussion you had on your blog?

I wish blogs had a better comment feature because I miss out on doing discussions. I’ve had much better luck on twitter communicating back and forth with people. But I liked communicating with readers about Life of Pi in my why-I-hate-the-ending rant post.

4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?

I really liked Reading With My Eyes Shut’s Review (mostly commentary) of Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer. It sticks out to me.

5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

I loved being able to interview Kristin R. Campbell, the author of the Lunangelique series. I fell in love with the books and I also ended up winning a signed copy of the first book, which added to the awesomeness. I also participated in a Shatter Me ReReadAThon through Pitch Dark Books and Epic Reads on twitter and their website. Even though it wasn’t really related to my actual blogging, I had loads of fun and ended up winning a signed copy of Unravel Me, which was fantastic.

008

That’s me with my signed copy of Lunangelique!!!!

shattermereread

That’s totally my tweet on the website!!!

6. Best moment of book blogging in 2012?

Being one of the features for Parajunkee and Alison Can Read’s Feature and Follow Friday Blog Hop. I was totally honored.

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

My most popular post for comments was my Feature and Follow Friday post where I was one of the features.

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

I wish for all my posts to be loved, but I do wish I had the community of followers I do now when I first started. My early posts were lacking in love, but that’s because I was mainly talking to myself!

9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

Before this year, I had no idea there WAS such a thing as Book Blogging and I had no idea I could support and help authors by simply reviewing their books. I had no idea other people loved reading as much as I do. So book blogging itself was the best discovery. Apart form that, I’d say Kindle Freebies. I had no idea there were books that were free for any period of time. Even the Kindle price drops are awesome.

10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

Yep, I completed all of my challenges apart from the Twilight ReRead Challenge. I didn’t read or review Breaking Dawn, but I plan on attempting to do it as soon as I can.

Looking Ahead…
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2012 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2013?

Delirium by Lauren Oliver. It’s been sitting on my shelf for months and I kept getting requests or approvals or library book availability notifications and I kept putting it off!

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013?

Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi!!

3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2013?

I really just want to keep doing what I’m doing. It gets better every day. I’m introduced to more blogs and followers and authors and books and I’m loving it.