FEATURED BLOG - Feature and Follow Friday - Deal Breakers


 
Hosted by Parajunkee's View and Alison Can Read
 
I'm this week's Featured Blog!! Yay!
 
Check out my interview:
 
When did you start blogging?
I started book blogging January of 2012. I had a blog before that, but I really wasn't doing much of anything with it. I had no idea there was such a thing as book blogging until I started to look into sharing my book reviews on my blog!
What is your favorite part of book blogging?
Being able to discover and share books and bookish thoughts with other people. I'm lucky enough to have friends that love to read, but now I'm part of a community of readers and I really enjoy it.
What is your favorite book(s)?
My tastes are all over the place and my favorites change frequently. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster and Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury are some old favorites and my new current favorite is The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare.
What has been the best thing that has happened to you because of book blogging?
Besides the initial awesomeness of finding out there was such a thing, I would say having friends wait for me to review a book before buying it. It makes me feel good that my opinion matters a lot to them and they trust my reviews. But book blogging has opened me up to a community of readers and authors and enriched my own reading so much, it's hard to pick the absolutely best thing that has happened to me because of it.
 
This week's question:
 
Q: What is a deal breaker for you in a book? For example, do you abhor love triangles? Or can't deal with bad editing?
 
The only absolute deal breaker that comes to mind is religious fiction. It's something I won't read at all. If the religious undertones are subtle, I can get through a book, but when they are blatantly obvious, I won't continue reading. I do enjoy The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis, though I think the undertones are subtle enough for me. This is just a personal thing for me. I can read books that deal with religion and have religious aspects to them, so it's nothing against religion itself. I just don't like the way books categorized as religious fiction play out. It's kind of hard to explain.
 
I do hate bad editing, but I'll continue to read a badly edited book in order to review the story itself. Bad editing can be fixed. It's just one of those things I hate encountering because I think it makes self published books look mediocre when it's just a handful that have this problem. I don't know a whole lot about the publishing process, so I give these authors the benefit of the doubt, I suppose. Still, I don't think it's a good idea to skip getting a good editor.
 
If a book is well written and grabs me in some way, I'm willing to overlook just about anything. So many elements end up working for me in well written novels. For example, I hate books that are purposely emotional and make you cry and tackle sensitive issues just because, but John Green somehow works his way around that and I've given all of his books 5 stars. There are just too many books out there that I would have expected to hate and loved or expected to love and hated. Sometimes, things just work for me.
 
Leave a comment with your FF post and tell me how you followed! Refer to the right sidebar for the multiple ways you can follow me. Link up below or at one of the host's blogs!
 
 

Labels: , ,