Booking Through Thursday–Storms

btt2

hosted by Booking Through Thursday

This week’s question:

1. How do storms affect your reading? Do you go for comfort reading?

2. How do you deal with power outages? Do you read by candlelight? Flashlights? Use a self-lit e-reader or tablet? Skip reading altogether for the duration and instead play games with the family?

Storms don’t usually affect my reading tastes. I read what I would be reading anyway (and there’s always something!) I do find that I watch more TV on nasty, dark, rainy days and use those days to catch up on DVRed shows and movies. I suppose that’s because I move around the house when I read and like to read by a window or outside on my porch, so nicer days allow for more light. If I can avoid reading by artificial light, I do.

I haven’t (knock on wood) had a problem with long power outages enough to know what I’d do about being able to read. Whenever a storm has hit areas I’ve lived in, I’ve been lucky enough to regain power within minutes or hours. In most cases, my husband would be working a lot or gone for a really bad storm and I’d be stuck by myself. I would try to find multiple ways of reading without power. I can’t think of anything else I would want to do. I’d probably write some things and gather some blog posts together. Anything to occupy my time. Maybe I should be charging my Kindle more often…

When I was younger, my family lived on a military base that experienced frequent power outages. It was a small base in a foreign country and everyone knew each other and the power could go out for hours or days. We’d all grab our grills and charcoal and whatever we had in the fridge and have a block party cookout (The weather was always nice, the outages were due to other problems). I call that a perfect solution to power outages.