Top Ten Tuesday–Older Books

toptentuesday

hosted by: The Broke and the Bookish

Top Ten Older Books I Don’t Want People to Forget About

1. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. I have no idea why most people I know haven’t heard of this book! It’s such a great story and one of my all time favorites.

2. The Giver by Lois Lowry. Dystopian books are becoming more and more popular, but I don’t think people should forget about this one in the midst of all the newer YA dystopians.

3. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis. I think it’s awesome when stories I love are made into movies, especially awesome movies like these, but I feel like it means its popularity goes up only to go back down again once the movie craze is over.

4. Goosebumps by R.L. Stine. I can’t remember which books really got me reading, but I definitely remember reading these books and loving them.

5. The Princess Bride by William Goldman. There’s a new commercial out for Coke Zero. Starts out with a couple outside of the movie theater and she says, “Romantic comedy or action?” He drinks his Coke Zero and sees that it has Real Coke taste AND zero calories and decides that he doesn’t like ‘or’ and wants to watch a Romaction. Anyway, the reason I think about this commercial is The Princess Bride is the best example of a Romaction I’ve ever seen. Romance, humor, and action rolled together in one awesome story. How could anyone NOT love this story?!

For now, most of the “older” books I am thinking about are gaining popularity by becoming movies in the near future, like The Hobbit and The Perks of Being a Wallflower, so it’s not likely anyone is going to forget about them any time soon. I just hope that people remember the books as they were, before they became movies. The older YA series that come to mind are fresh in my head right now since I’m finally going back through reading all of them, like The Mortal Instruments. I don’t read many new releases right away because there are so many older books that I haven’t yet read. And the much older books that come to mind are classics, like 1984 and Fahrenheit 451, and are probably required reading in school for most people, so it isn’t likely that anyone is going to forget about them, either.

I think it’s important to hold onto the books you love and never forget about them, regardless of what is new and popular right now.