Review–The Future We Left Behind by Mike A. Lancaster

13642043

The Future We Left Behind/1.4 (Point 4 #2)

by Mike A. Lancaster

Summary: Thousands of years in the future the divide between humanity and technology has become nearly unrecognizable. Each thought, each action is logged, coded, backed up. Data is as easily exchanged through the fiber-optic-like cables that extend from fingertips as it might be through ordinary conversation. It's a brave new world: A world that the Straker Tapes say is a result of many human "upgrades." But no one is sure whether the Straker Tapes are a work of fiction or an eerie peek into an unimaginable past.
Nearly sixteen-year-old Peter Vincent has been raised to believe that everything that the backward Strakerites cling to is insane--an utter waste of time and potential. Since his father is David Vincent, genius inventor of the artificial bees that saved the world's crops and prevented massive famine, how could Peter believe anything else?
But when Peter meets Alpha, a Strakerite his own age, suddenly the theories about society-upgrades don't sound quite so crazy, especially when she shows him evidence that another upgrade is imminent. And worse, there may be a conspiracy by the leaders of the establishment to cover it up. A conspiracy spearheaded by Peter's own father.
Gripping and full of unexpected twists, The Future We Left Behind takes the unsettling questions raised in Human.4, and flips them entirely. What if we knew that the very way we live was about to be changed in an instant, and we could stop it? And what if everything we are sure we know is entirely wrong?

Review:

4%2520star

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

When I requested to review this book, I had no idea it was the second book in the series. Because I was still interested in reading it and wanted to get it read as promptly as possible, I did a little bit of research on what book 1 was about and how book 2 was. It’s the kind of sequel that involves completely different characters, so I felt confident about picking it up without reading the first one.

I loved this book. I thought it was incredibly unique, interesting, and well executed. Despite it reading much like a computer log, it was easy to follow and understand what was happening. Peter was telling his story in the form of a Link Diary that records his thoughts. He’s able to encrypt his diary so no one can see it, especially because he feels guilty about his new interest in literature. His father is a famous scientist.

From what I understand, book one of the series is from Kyle Stracker’s point of view much farther in the past than this novel. In this installment, there are a group of people called Strackerite’s that believe Kyle’s story with a bit of religious zeal, while most ordinary citizens brush it off as a crazy conspiracy theory. Even though I didn’t read the first book, enough information was given about Kyle Stracker’s tapes that I felt as if this sequel sort of stood alone and was easy to understand.

I hate to give any of the plot away because I really didn’t know what to expect and I was constantly surprised by the events. I loved Peter as a narrator because of how he looked at the world and the deeper insights he made throughout the book. I thought there were some pretty great themes in this book about what it means to be human and I loved some of the parallels with conspiracy theories and religion woven into the story. There was a hint of romance between Peter and Alpha, but was faint enough that I think this story would appeal to pretty much everyone who enjoys science fiction.

The concept was incredible and while it was a lot to wrap my head around, it wasn’t too complicated or far out. I thought there was a good balance between being a unique and interesting concept without being so out there it wouldn’t appeal to most readers. The book was well written and I would definitely recommend it and continue to read more of Mike A. Lancaster’s novels.

Based on some of the reviews, I’m now glad that I read this book without reading the first one in the series. Some people complained about it being repetitive and I didn’t notice that since I was unfamiliar with the first book. It read like a stand alone novel and I am looking forward to reading the first one and being able to decide which one I like better.