Review–Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Miss Peregrine

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

by Ransom Riggs

Summary: A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs. Fiction is based on real black and white photographs. The death of grandfather Abe sends sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, and explores abandoned bedrooms and hallways. The children may still live.

Review:

3%2520star

I think it was last year when I first heard of this book and saw the cover. Since that moment, I’ve been wanting to read this book. It just looked like my kind of weird! I requested it from the library and have been on the waiting list for what seemed like ages, but I thought it was fitting that I’d get this at the beginning of October.

I’m not quite sure what I expected from this book, but it started out a little slow for me and I was surprised by how normal it was up until I was about 30% through. I couldn’t help but feel a little disappointed by the story and wasn’t really sure where it was going. It picked up from that point onward and ended up being really weird like I originally expected.

I don’t think I cared much for the narrator, Jacob, and I felt as if I would have rather read a story written from his grandfather’s point of view instead. Even though the book did end up being more like what I expected towards the middle, I felt like it kept escalating exponentially and got a little unbelievable. My reactions while reading went from “Hmm, this seems rather normal” to “This is definitely getting good” to “Wait, what? This seems kind of ridiculous, now.”

I do like the fact that this story was written around real photographs and it was a well written and page turning novel. There was definitely an element of weirdness and creepiness that I enjoyed, especially with the additions of the pictures in the text. I just felt like the plot kind of got out of hand towards the end and I didn’t care much for the narrator. I would definitely recommend this book to others because it was worth the read. I rated it low because I guess I expected something more, despite how creative it was. Perhaps I’m being a little unfair because it’s day #5 of me not smoking and it has some impact on my judgment at the moment. I’m not sure.