Review–City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments #2) by Cassandra Clare

1582996

City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments #2)

by Cassandra Clare

Summary: A murderer is loose in New York City ...
... and the victims are Downworlder children. Clary Fray and her fellow Shadowhunters have a strong suspicion that Valentine may be behind the killings. But if he is the murderer, then what’s his true motive? To make matters worse, the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, has been stolen, and the mysterious Inquisitor has arrived to investigate, with his eyes vigilantly targeted Jace.
Clary will need to face some terrifying demons and even more terrifying family decisions. No one said that the life of a Shadowhunter would be easy.

Review:

5%2520star

Wow. Once again I am utterly stunned by Cassandra Clare. I loved City of Ashes, perhaps even more than City of Bones. Why have I waited so long to read this series? And more importantly, why don't I own the next book in the series?!

I am amazed by how emotional I get while reading this series. I don't mean it's like a contemporary crying fest or anything - that's not it at all. I just feel this constant ache and longing that tugs at my heart. The characters have so much depth and their emotions have such an effect on my own while reading. This is one those books that I notice my eyes move to the end of the page because I'm so anxious to find out what happens and I have to force them back up to the top in just about every scene. Which is not a bad thing.

My heart is deeply invested in this story. I have no idea how the author was able to do this to me, but I praise her for the way that she writes because it is a very rare thing for me to feel so much about a story. It's not that I haven't loved other stories or this one is the best one I've read all year or anything, but for some reason, it sits with me and changes my mood and lingers. I'm actually extremely bothered that I don't own the next book and I'm feeling conflicted about jotting down all of my thoughts at this moment or getting onto a website to order the next book right now.

City of Ashes was a wonderful sequel to City of Bones. It was well written, descriptive, and magical. I love the way the author describes everything, from the setting to how a character is feeling - I can picture it all in my head perfectly. As with the first book, this one was slow and descriptive while also being very fast paced and somehow, the author is able to do this. Everything is explained perfectly and detailed, yet the scene flies by in front of me. It's the perfect balance for me.

New things are introduced in this book and old things are expanded upon. New characters are introduced and old ones change in ways I never would have expected. I can't really say anything else because you just have to read book one. I can't spoil anything at all. I cannot wait to get my hands on the next book and I highly recommend this series. It's magical and well written, with characters that I've come to love.

Labels: