Musing Mondays–Book Discussions

musing-mondays

hosted by Should Be Reading

This week’s musing asks…

Do you have people online that you often discuss the books you read with? Not just book groups, but individual readers who share the same taste in books? If so, what do you like best about this? If not, do you wish you did?

No, not really. The closest thing I do online is a program called Book Buddies in a Goodreads book club. Every month, two people are randomly paired to read a book on both of their to read lists and discuss. It was a lot of fun, but I haven’t participated in a few months because I have so much to read. Plus, sometimes you get paired with someone who may have completely different tastes. So far, I’ve always found common ground and been able to pick a book (I suppose I’m happy I’m such an eclectic reader), but the differences show during the discussion. 

My friend Alice has similar tastes in books and we read what we recommend to each other and she lives right down the street from me. I read Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl a few months ago and she started on it as soon as I finished. And I’m reading the Mortal Instruments series that she read a few years ago. Unfortunately, this is where my insanely fast reading skills hurt me because I’m plowing through everything and she’s a much slower reader so we are never really able to talk about a book we JUST read. Still, it’s tons of fun to be able to talk about books with her. She also sends books I’ve reviewed to her boyfriend to read and shares his thoughts with me, so that probably counts, too.

I wish I had more people to talk about books with. I figure that I read so much so quickly that I’m bound to read what my friends are reading, but it’s never really the case. I even have my own small online book club with friends and I can’t get anyone to really discuss the book we just read! Even if I know my friends have read the book of the month, I can’t get anyone to actively talk about it apart from whether they liked it or not. It’s frustrating!

I’m definitely glad to be part of the book blogging community so I can check out the reviews of books I’ve read or want to read or sound interesting. It helps me form decisions and gives me the opportunity to comment. As long as the review doesn’t contain spoilers without warning and I can keep my comments spoiler free so it’s not ruined for those that haven’t read the book.