Booking Through Thursday–Cover Story

btt2

hosted by Booking Through Thursday

This week’s question:

They say you can’t judge a book by its cover, but there’s no question that it can make a difference! What book(s) have your favorite covers? Something that’s perfect for the story, the tone, the colors, the mood… And did you pick up the book BECAUSE of the cover? Or were you going to read it anyway, and the cover was just serendipitous?

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs had a cover that definitely caught my eye and piqued my interest. I didn’t pick it up because of the cover, though, but because of the great reviews I’d seen.

Miss Peregrine

Lunangelique and Sleeping Gods by Kristin R. Campbell also have awesome covers that fit the books well and are original, but I would have read the books anyway.

157158183724898

I don’t pick up books because of their covers. It’s weird and I know I’m in the minority, but I don’t. It’s great when books have pretty ones and I think it’s a shame when good books don’t have nice covers, but sometimes I think covers are completely misleading, especially in YA fiction. A cover might draw me in, but the synopsis has to convince me. And since I do most of my browsing online, reviews are extremely helpful and I buy more of my books based on reviews than anything else.

I’m happy when good books have cool covers because I know it will draw other readers in. I think a good cover is a huge plus, but good covers have fooled me too many times to be important!