Booking Through Thursday–Burn

btt2

hosted by Booking Through Thursday

This week’s question:

If your house was burning down and you could save just one book from your collection … what would it be?

(And, for the purposes of this discussion, we’ll allow series to count as “one” long, multi-volume book.)

This is a very difficult question. I would without a doubt grab my Kindle first because it’s usually in my purse and/or close to me. But I realize that probably doesn’t count.

I have to be honest, if my house was burning down, I don’t know that books would be that high on the priority list. I suppose it depends on the fire and where it started and what exactly I have time for. I’m guessing books would be taken on a second trip out and probably not the first. I’d be grabbing my glasses, contacts, some clothes, phone, purse, identification, and other extremely important things. Not that books aren’t important, it’s just that I know I can always buy more and I don’t need them immediately to survive or see.  I know, I’m like, no fun when it comes to these questions! For the record, if I didn’t have time to grab books, the thought of them burning would upset me a lot. I just would be more focused on grabbing things that I needed immediately or weren’t so quickly replaceable.

If my house was burning down and I somehow anticipated that the world was also ending and buying more books was no longer an option, I’d grab The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster, The Giver by Lois Lowry, and one other important book. I haven’t decided if it will be Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, 1984 by George Orwell, A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L”Engle, or another older, cherished book. It would probably be a last minute decision after grabbing those first two books.