Review–The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

The Iron King

The Iron King (The Iron Fey #1)

by Julie Kagawa

Summary: Meghan Chase has never fit in at her small-town high school, and now, on the eve of her 16th birthday, she discovers why. When her half brother is kidnapped, Meghan is drawn into a fantastical world she never imagined--the world of Faery, where anything you see may try to eat you, and Meghan is the daughter of the summer faery king. Now she will journey into the depths of Faery to face an unknown enemy . . . and beg the help of a winter prince who might as soon kill her as let her touch his icy heart. The Iron King is the first book in the Iron Fey series.

Review:

5%2520star

Once again, I’m astounded by Julie Kagawa. Have I been living under a rock? I can’t believe I haven’t read these books! Once I read The Immortal Rules, I knew I needed to read this series and I’m glad I did. It was great.

The author is such an amazing writer. I was immediately drawn into the story and the descriptions were superb. She manages to describe the scenery so well without being boring or repetitive. I felt as in awe as the main character, Meghan. I thought all of the characters were interesting and complex. Meghan was such a great heroine. She was fiercely loyal to her family and friends, despite being placed on the back burner of everyone’s lives for so long. She really cared about people and fought for that. On the surface, I suppose it appears as fi the main character has a crappy life, discovers something amazing and then grows into her self and powers by the end like every other story, but I felt as if she was more of a real character with real fears and real feelings.

Puck was… I’m not really sure how I felt about him. I liked him at first, but he seemed a little nonchalant about things. He was funny and mischievous and was a great protector of Meghan for awhile, but I feel like he’s hiding something and I have a feeling I am not going to like him. He was difficult to figure out. Grimalkin was such a cool character. He reminded me a bit of the Cheshire Cat in Alice in Wonderland, but not quite so misleading. Ash was another great character. At first, I thought he might have been sort of a filler romantic interest, but as the story continued, I thought he proved to be pretty complex. Unlike Puck, I didn’t feel like he was difficult to figure out. I liked that I knew where he stood as far as what his motives were. I felt like both Puck and Ash worked for their respective courts first and what they wanted with Meghan was the same, except Puck appeared to be loyal to Meghan first and Ash was obviously not loyal to anyone but his Queen first. Which is why I can’t seem to figure Puck out. Is Meghan really his number one priority? I don’t know. I guess I’ll have to keep reading!

Overall, I found the story to be creative, intriguing, and beautifully written. The introduction of the Iron King was clever and really captivated me. I loved that behind each wonder and adventure, there was a deeper meaning about the way mortals believe and how they evolve and how those feelings translate into the world of Fey. And of course, I love that Meghan used her background of growing up in the mortal world to challenge the ways the people of Faery think and behave.

I would definitely recommend this book to others. It isn’t a typical story of faeries and adventure. It’s not a typical YA romance with some supernatural elements. It’s so much more than that. I’m now a huge fan of Julie Kagawa because of her amazing ability to weave together a beautiful and engaging story.

Labels: