Review–The End of Sunshine Street

14409088

The End of Sunshine Street

by Johanna Constance Hunt

Summary: Sometimes you can tell a book by its cover: the bright warm glitz of Palm Beach displaying its own peculiar taste and charm, but with just a little something wrong--and, of course, a hurricane on the way. Palm Beach is the off-center focus of this book. Judy first escaped the bleak Maine winters to Florida and then, through an unexpected holiday romance in Peru, made the more difficult escape from struggling middle-class Lake Worth to neighboring Palm Beach.
If Sunshine Street were only a romance it would have ended there, but will Judy and her new husband--the dwarf-kitten millionaire--live happily, or even "ever after"?
Judy is a good wife and a good friend, but not quite ideal in either role. She is not obsessive about dusting. She is only mostly, but not always, there for you when you need to talk. More worryingly, if your continued existence would inconvenience Judy then you can expect to die. She is as dangerous to be around as a female Ripley but has a more nuanced morality (who, after all, does not?) and, if any of it ever does come to trial, a more interesting and almost plausible defense.
This is a novel that is impossible to characterize: romance, mystery, thriller? Life is like that.

Review:

1star

I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

When I saw the synopsis for the book, I was immediately intrigued. While chick lit and mystery aren’t my typical genres, I do enjoy them from time to time and couldn’t resist trying this book out. I really wanted to enjoy it, but unfortunately, it was not the book for me.

I felt completely disconnected from the characters and the storyline and this didn’t change at all. The characters were likeable, I just didn’t feel as if I was invested in the story at all. As quirky and great as Judy, the main character, could be, by the end of the book, I didn’t feel like I knew her any better. Despite the crazy events that happened to Judy throughout the book, the inability to connect with her also disconnected me from the plot and I struggled to get through the pages, even during the interesting parts.

The story was not badly written at all. I thought the author was descriptive. For some reason, I just couldn’t connect or care about the people and events in the book. I don’t know why and I can’t pinpoint an exact reason for this. The setting was great, the author was descriptive, the events were interesting, I was just unable to get into this book!

I think this book might appeal to other readers and other people will rate it much higher. I wouldn’t recommend the book myself, especially since I can’t figure out what went wrong for me.

Labels: