Review - Sleeping Gods (Lunangelique #2) by Kristin Campbell

 
Sleeping Gods (Lunangelique #2)
 
by Kristin R. Campbell
 

Summary: Alexis must pick up the broken pieces of her heart and pull herself together because she has a mission: To awaken the sleeping gods. When she is at the point of giving up, wearing her pretend smiles and feels like there is nothing left of herself, her friend becomes her savior. Patryck helps put Alexis back together again and in return Alexis sees him as something more than a friend…

Together with her brother, Alex, her father, Edmund, and a team of angels they make their way to Mount Latmos, to awaken the gods. But obstacles are in their way, one of them being Cole, the traitor, the one who shattered Alexis’ heart.

New friends and family she never thought she would meet will come to aid Alexis.

… And a love will blossom that will redefine the saying, “Love you forever.”


Review:

 
 

I am so in love with this series. I devoured both books in less than two days. In fact, I was about 30% done last night and the FIRST thing I did this morning was pick up the book and finish it. I could not wait to finish. I also think I had dreams about it last night, actually.

Alexis tries to mend her broken heart after Cole leaves her. It was incredibly heart wrenching to watch her try to pull herself together. A slight love triangle develops as Alexis struggles with her emotions and attempts to move on. It wasn't the annoying kind of love triangle where the heroine has no idea what she wants and what she is doing. It's the kind of love triangle that I can understand and empthasize with, even though it sucks and she makes me want to scream.

I couldn't stand Patryck at all. I understood why Alexis tried to move on with him in her life and he was a great friend and tried to protect her, but I hated him. Alexis uses the talent she discovered she had in the first book to try and pull herself together, but she didn't fool me at all. I knew she still loved Cole, even when she tried not to think about it. Because the book is from Lexi's point of view and she was definitely suppressing her emotions, it was quite the interesting read. Luckily, there was much action and drama regarding the supernatural and mythological aspects of her and Alex's life to distract everyone and keep them focused.

Alex and Alexis are tasked with waking the sleeping gods. But it ends up being much more complicated than it seems. The reader finds out new things about the twins and the way their new world works. They discover new alliances and have heavy decisions to make. All while trying to be as normal as possible and tour Europe together as planned after they graduated high school.

Part of the book is written from Cole's point of view. I loved him as a narrator and it tore my heart out to watch him observe Lexi from afar, as she attempts to move on without him. His attitude about a lot of things changes and even though I loved him in book one, I loved him even more in this book. He was incredibly challenging.

The first book in this series was awesome as I got to watch Alexis and Alex discover a bunch of new things about themselves, their origins, and their family. It was pretty cool to discover you are more than just a regular person. But book two is much heftier and mature. The newness and awesomeness of discovering you aren't normal was gone and the twins realize just what kind of challenges face them. If ever they thought they could lead normal lives, they quickly realize that is not the case at all in this sequel. I liked this aspect a lot and I enjoyed learning more and watching the characters grow.

This series is highly addictive. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys YA fiction with supernatural and mythological elements mixed with coming of age and romance. It is well written and the narration flows effortlessly. It's almost Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan meets Fallen by Lauren Kate, but also much more. It's full of action, emotion, love, heartbreak, revelations, pain, and maturity. The cover is also absolutely stunning. I can't rave about this series enough. I also cannot wait for the next book in the series to come out!

Lunangelique is the first book in the series and only $0.99 for Kindle.  Sleeping Gods was released this week and is available for purchase.