Feature and Follow Friday–Hyped Up Books

FF_2012

Hosted by Parajunkee's View and Alison Can Read

Featured Blogs: The Authoress and Northern Plunder

Q: What hyped up book do you think was worth all the talk?

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden #1) by Julie Kagawa. I avoided reading it for a long time because that’s what I do. I’m always so disappointed in hyped up books. But I loved this book so much! To be fair, I only saw “hype” in the book blogging world, unlike other hyped up books that everyone everywhere talks about. So I think book bloggers know what’s up! I feel the same about The Fault In Our Stars by John Green, which was also a book I saw a lot of hype for in book blogs. (I just realized that most all the books I see hype for in book blogs happen to be awesome and that makes me feel great. I’m so glad book blogging exists!)

Now, if I think about books that were talked about everywhere, I’m faced with tons of disappointment. It seems like the books I overhear most people talk about aren’t that great. Or they are just okay, but without all the hype, I don’t know that I would have bothered to pick it up. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is the only book I can think of that jumps out at me as being as good as I expected. But, I read it before I realized it was a big deal. So maybe that doesn’t count for me. Same thing with The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. Tons of hype now that it is becoming a movie, but I loved it before I even knew anyone else would. Same thing with Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. Even Twilight by Stephenie Meyer I read before I even realized what explosion was about to happen. Had I waited until after the intense explosion of popularity, I don’t know that I would have liked it that much.

Actually, there is a book that I read after hearing about it everywhere. The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. It was exactly how everyone said it was. Now, stuff like that isn’t my typical read, but I do love that book and it does remain one of my favorites. And the movie was pretty good. So there’s my answer.

What about you?