Booking Through Thursday–School Books

btt2

hosted by Booking Through Thursday

This week’s question: We all had to read things in school that we didn’t like … but what
about something you read for a class that you ended up liking (or
loving)? An author you discovered that you might not have found? A
genre you hadn’t thought about?

I got pretty lucky with the English classes I took in high school and we got to read some great books. I loved The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde a lot when I read it for AP English senior year and I’ll never forget reading it. I also the Edgar Allen Poe block we did my junior year. In 9th grade, we did a Greek Mythology block and I enjoyed everything we read for that. The list of things I didn’t enjoy is much smaller. I loved reading 1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell, and Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury and it opened me up to dystopian fiction and it’s one of my favorite genres now. Going back to middle school, I loved The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton and The Giver by Lois Lowry and they remain some of my favorite books, too.

And I’m such a geek that after high school, I realized how many books I got to read that other classes didn’t, but also how many books I didn’t get to read. I ended up going to the bookstore and picking up some of the books my husband read in school, like White Fang by Jack London and Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand to name a few. Still working on some others throughout my lifetime.