Top Ten Tuesday–Bookish Confessions

toptentuesday

hosted by: The Broke and the Bookish

Top Ten Bookish Confessions

1. I cannot read slow. I try to do this all the time so I’m not flying through books, but I can’t. As soon as I slow my pace, the world of the book starts to unravel and the only way to get it back together is to read faster. People always think because I read fast and read so many books that I’m skimming or not taking in the detail, but I’m not. I won’t take in the detail if I read slow.

2. I’m hooked on e-books. I fought against the e-reader trend for the longest time. I bought my Kindle for author requests and books that were e-book only, but I find myself buying books in Kindle form and browsing books on Amazon more often than I would have believed. I actually prefer reading on my Kindle now because it is always with me.

3. I find myself most drawn to male characters that remind me of my husband in some ways. I just noticed this recently. If a male character is nothing at all like my husband, I tend to dislike him. I think it’s kind of funny. I suppose it’s a reflection of how much I love his qualities.

4. I think I have a problem with amazon freebies. I check different sites everyday for freebies and download anything that sounds interesting. I’ve become an e-book hoarder and it’s so not like me.

5. I used to think there was a formula for me liking a book, but the more I read, the more I realize how unpredictably my own tastes and thoughts are. Sometimes, a certain thing will irk me to no end in a book, but something similar in another will be what I rave about. I think this is why it bothers me when people get the gist of a story and judge it without reading it. You never know until you read something if you’ll love it.

6. I can’t read if I’m mad. I usually pick up a book whenever I have a moment to read a little bit. I can be just about any emotion, but if I’m mad about something, I can’t read at all. Fortunately, I don’t get mad often.

7. I get really excited when books I read are becoming movies, but I’m almost always disappointed. I also get extremely annoyed when a book or series becomes extremely popular, especially if it becomes a movie or a show. I feel like a story is somehow different when a person reads it. If a person watches the movie or the show, even if it’s done well, I don’t think it’s quite the same.

8. If I read something that I truly love and have the urge to gush about it, I hold it back as much as I can. I’ve never been much of a FAN of things and crazed fans annoy me and I can’t take them seriously. For this reason, I hold back my own urges to gush about stuff so that people take my opinions more seriously. Sometimes, I’ll type OMG THIS WAS AMAZING!!!!! in a review and then I’ll erase it, breathe, and start over. I don’t trust people that gush too much about something, I guess. It’s weird. Hearing someone just rave about how awesome something is without really saying WHY makes me wonder if it’s really all that awesome at all.

9. I have to finish a book. If I don’t, it haunts me. I will read books that I cannot stand or books that bore me to tears just to get to the end. I feel like unless I reach the end, I can’t write a review about the book. Maybe I’m just optimistic that something will happen and I’ll end up loving it. I always have to give it a chance.

10. I can’t listen to audiobooks. I’ve tried and I space out. I’d love to be able to listen to audiobooks when I’m doing stuff around the house, but my brain won’t absorb anything.

What about you? What are your top bookish confessions?