Musing Mondays–Change of Opinion

musing-mondays

hosted by Should Be Reading

This week’s musing — courtesy of http://drpepperdiva.wordpress.com – asks…

Have you ever reread a book and found that your opinion changed?

Yes.

Atonement by Ian McEwan comes to mind first. I read it a few years ago and just could not get into it, despite hearing people rave about it. When I reread it this year, I ended up liking it a lot. It still made me angry (if you’ve read it, you know why), but I could appreciate it a lot more for some reason.

I hate to admit this, but I also have to include the first three books in the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. I read them as a teen when they first came out and just couldn’t get into it. I remember my dad bought me the fourth book in hardcover when I first came out and I barely opened it before sticking it on the top shelf of my closet. It wasn’t until I was about 21 or 22 that I read the series again. My husband was chatting with a friend at work about the series and the guy he was talking to had similar reading tastes as mine. He kept telling my husband that I had to read the series. I brushed it off like, been there, done that, but then he told my husband that “shit gets real” as the series goes on and it doesn’t read quite like middle grade fiction anymore. He said that people die, which always makes my ears perk up (one of my biggest issues with fiction is that the characters have so many brushes with death, but never die and I always appreciate a good series where “shit gets real” so to speak.) I ended up reading the series (and I still don’t really care for the first three books) and I fell in love. Books 5 through 7 are my favorites. I’m so glad I gave the series another shot, as it’s one of my favorites.

Another book I’m ashamed to mention is 1984 by George Orwell. I thought it was excruciating in school. As an adult, however, I fell in love with it. I think perhaps it takes a reread as we grow up to truly appreciate this book. Especially for me, since I wasn’t at all concerned with governments and politics as a teenager.

Those are the only books I can say I truly changed my opinion about.